Sunday 2 October 2016

a lost cause {or not?}

Thanx for all the comments last week on my scrappy trips quilt, still waiting for the last little bit of border fabric to arrive!

This weekend I've been relooking at an old WiP

noun: lost cause;
a person or thing that can no longer hope to succeed or be changed for the better.


Every now & then I pull out this bundle of fabrics 
thinking why have I collected these fabrics only for them languish away in the wardrobe,
never to end up in a quilt?




It's a quilt kit I bought years ago when I came back to quilting after a 15yr break, 
... and to be honest, it's been a 'work in (very long) progress'!





... I remember a time when Japanese fabrics were popular, they are so full of colour & design

larger blocks are 7 1/2" square small sections 4 1/2" square


... I remember trying out those partial seams for the first time




I often get this WiP out, I really loved it when I started it
Now, I look at all the fabrics for a few days,
I wonder about continuing on with the original pattern, staying true to its era and original intention
and then... thinking it's all a bit of a lost cause... I pop it away again! 


I do have a large section {approx. 66" x 28"} all together




and there's also quite a large pile of more assorted scrappy fabric all cut up and all ready to go...





... and most of the fabrics I do still love - individually!


But here's the thing...
when I look at 'my stash', ever so precious that it is, sadly some of it can appear a little dated now! 

And that's when I think a scrappy stash quilt could be a wonderful solution! 
I'm about to mix these fabrics up in a way that may or may not all go together
... using other orphan blocks, blending modern florals, vintage & reproduction, 
... maybe slice things up a bit
... maybe add some b&w strip piecing
{Those of you who have Kathy's book, Adding Layers, will know which rabbithole I'm heading down here!}
  



Hm-m -m- so maybe no, it's not a lost cause after all, and fingers crossed it'll make for an interesting quilt!  

And you? Have you built up a fabric stash over the years?
If so, how do you deal with your pre-modern fabrics?
Linking up here for 'oh scrap'


16 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Madness!!! I bought this book, autographed by Kathy in 2014 purely because I longed to make this quilt when I first saw it on her site. I have the book open here as I type this out and now, if I am on the right track, you have re-kindled my longing. The selection of fabrics you have there would be just right and you could strip, or cut in any way, the piece already stitched.
Yes, I do collect fabric - as you well know - and have have two huge wire baskets full of older wonderful Hoffman prints, what to do with those? I have a large one full of Japanese style fabrics, same sort of fabrics you are working with, they are very well dated, but no plans as yet for what to make with them, nor the box of rejects and spare parts. Could I also resort to Madness??

audrey said...

Oh yes, mixing all the fabrics together, new and old, gives a fresh new look. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this older project!

Kate said...

Beautiful fabrics that really should make their way into a quilt. Sounds like you have a plan for that. Since I'm finding that scrappy seems to be my preferred mode, some of the older fabrics are finding homes in those projects. Others I've been looking for ways to mix them in with newer fabrics and see how that goes. Some of them are ending up as pieced backs.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I say play! I know you will come up with something wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Nifty Quilts said...

Yea! It'll be great to see what you do with it. New inspiration!

Rachaeldaisy said...

You are going to have fun with this!! I think it's great to mix up fabric styles, old and new. Scrappy is happy!

dq said...

Hello Linda. You visited my blog and commented on my flower quilt. You wanted to know how to get the pattern. I emailed you but wanted to make sure you got it so here I am again. The pattern is by Sophie of Block Lotto. It comes in various sizes and I did 12", 6", and 4" blocks. You can get the pattern here: https://payhip.com/b/WguO

Ann said...

A good way to use these delightful old fabrics. It is important to keep the fabric moving and Kathy's idea will work well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh Cynthia, I was looking for way out here... and hoping you would come up with another scrappy option to chose from your wide repertoire!
Never mind, I’ve bitten the bullet today, started playing, and made just a few scary slices into it all... :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ooh, now you've got me curious! I'm not familiar with what you're talking about, so looking forward to seeing more about what you're doing!

Heather said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I think the black/white stripe works well.

gayle said...

Oh, do it do it do it!!! (That book is on my ultimate wishlist...) (I may have to go back and treat myself...)
My stash has everything in it, from Civil War repros to fifties to seventies to moderns. I cheerfully mix it all together because it makes me happy to do so!
Whatever you do with your pretty colors, it will be glorious. Carry on!

PaulaB quilts said...

Just jump off the diving board and start swimming. The first cut will be the hardest, so go for it.

Lisa said...

Hmmm I can see your dilemma. Great fabrics but it's quite crowded in there isn't it. These fabrics would look great with something else to break them up. Some nice modern solids maybe? Good luck with it.

Kaja said...

Oh yes! This sounds like a great move to me - you don't waste your original work but you bring it right up to date.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks Kaja!
I’m going to have a bit more of a play with this later today.
I’ve also researched a little about Anna Williams, the African –American quilter, and am finding lots of wonderful inspiration!