Friday 27 January 2017

back on track

One thought I had at the beginning of the year was to go through my little pile of quilt tops once in a while and see if I could change or add something extra, anything really that rekindled my interest enough to get the quilt back on track and finished. So this week I'm relooking at a WiP from May last year and having another play with this star quilt top.




Sometimes it is good to leave things, have a break, and then come back to it... it's all part of the design process, yes?

I used Victoria Findlay Wolfe's 'mostly manor' fabrics for this star quilt. After finally settling on a layout, once it was all together, it always felt just a bit too small to be very useful.
Relooking at it today, I suddenly decided to add a border in VFW gold & white fractured stripe and then a nice wide border of her gorgous yellow floral. And I'm much happier now, have a look...






I've been wanting to use that gold & white fractured stripe in something... wonder why it took me so long?


All back on track now and ready for basting & quilting
Linking up with Em here for 'moving it forward'

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, it looks grand! That wide yellow is perfect. (How wide is it?) I agree that it's good to let quilts rest for a bit, especially if we're stumped with the next step. It seems like that time away gives us fresh eyes when we look at it again.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These two borders were just what it needed. What a wonderfully bright and happy quilt!

Kristin Stonham said...

Ooh, that's lovely! So bright and cheery.

Ann said...

Yummy. The stripe adds so much to this quilt. I think borders are overlooked these days. Hopefully your lovely top will encourage more people to consider one.

em's scrapbag said...

This is so bright and happy! You did a great job!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Love it!! What a fun sunny quilt top!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Yes, the yellow floral is just right! Beautiful job Linda.

Linda said...

I love the stars and your two borders set them off so well. The yellow fabric is gorgeous. A lovely quilt top -looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

gayle said...

Oh, there it is - perfect! That border is cheery and bright and just the thing to set off all those gorgeous stars.
I like to walk away from projects, too, to let them mull a bit. It's why I can't work on just one project at a time - I need to have a few marinating while I'm pushing something else forward. 8)

Kate said...

Definitely worth the wait. Both borders really finish off the quilt nicely. Congrats on a gorgeous finished flimsy.

pandchintz said...

Those borders finish it beautifully! Will you use the fractured stripe to bind it with too?