Saturday 27 October 2018

wonky stars & dotty florals



Today I thought I'd share another unfinished WiP. I do find letting things sit & 'brew' for a while - maybe a week, a month, a year, or even two - can work well for me. On relooking at things, sometimes I've found fresh inspiration and different ways to finish up something that otherwise would be left lingering in the wardrobe. Sometimes, I simply pass it on to my girlfriend to see if she can breathe new life into it.
Hopefully, my processes & exploring the possibilities and lots of pics might help others get some ideas for tackling unfinished work too. And you know, if I get a few finishes then I can start something new, yes?


After attending a workshop run by Sally Smith at my LQS 'all things patchwork' some time ago I came away with half the blocks already made for a quilt . . . but I never got around to finishing up the rest of the blocks. Last week, I pulled all the remaining pieces out of the wardrobe and set about sewing the rest.
There was a sequence to piecing and things went together really easily, why I hadn't done this ages ago I'm not sure. I've teamed up the main floral, 'lilac rose' by Philip Jacobs, with lots of spots, mainly Kaffe ones. I've also got enough leftovers here for a scrappy binding, which is always a plus.


Sally's design "stacked stars" is pretty forgiving and I was able to trim each block down to a generous 15" square. There were 16 all together, not just the twelve I had originally thought. I laid them all out on the 'design floor' and shuffled a few blocks to scatter the colours around evenly.
And then I rotated every alternate one so that there was some playful movement happening, which is something that definitely wouldn't have occured to me all those years ago








And while it's not my most favourite finish, 
I know it's one my mum would have loved, 
and so for lots of reasons, it does feel good to have moved this WiP along a bit more.

Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here 



15 comments:

Linda said...

I like your comment about rotating alternate blocks to get some movement in the quilt, an idea you probably wouldn't have had when you started the quilt. Very true, we do accumulate new ideas as time passes. A good reason to let projects become UFOs? And a good reason to return to them and be inspired and finally finish them? Lovely finish, Linda.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice to have a finish isn't it. It is also nice to move a UFO into the finished column isn't it

Kate said...

It's a fun quilt, I love that floral you've used. Congrats on getting one of the older UFOs moved along. That is always such a good feeling.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is just fun and pretty! I like the way you rotated the stars every other one, too. Congratulations on getting this one to this point after all this time!

gayle said...

I love the way that the slight rotation really makes those stars dance!

dutchcomfort said...

It’s gorgeous and a real Kokaquilt! When I pick up old projects, I always wonder why I struggled to have it finished before. I’m sure it has to do with what we’ve learned over the years and are able to look at a quilt in a different way or even come up with solutions we indeed wouldn’t have thought about years ago!

Kim said...

This is a fabulous quilt top. I love the bright and happy polka dots showcasing the pretty floral fabric. This really has a funky feel to it.

Janie said...

Beautiful work Linda!
I like the movement and contrast in your star blocks.
Time has a way of clearing the air doesn't it?

Julie said...

Whilst not my favourite of all the quilts you've made, I do love the colours you have used, and polka dots always make a quilt happy.

pandchintz said...

I love hearing and seeing about your WIP progress - please keep writing about them! Love the spots.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I liked this one the moment you first shared it on Instagram - and I still love it. I think it's wonderful in every single way.

Karen S said...

I love the combination of the spots and the florals. Well done getting the blocks finished and the top together. Looking great!

Radka said...

I am absolutely with you in letting things "brew" for a bit (a year, even two, LOL).
I like this quilt, it is - different :-)
xx

LA Paylor said...

wowie! Love this, the pattern, the tute, the fabrics!

Cathy said...

Love the combo of big roses and polka dots. This is a fun one! Good for you moving it forward.