Wednesday 19 December 2018

it's that time of the year again



Yes, it's that time of year again, and with less than a week to go until Christmas. I grabbed a tiny bit of time today for one last burst of productivity. I'm busy making my scrappy 'carolina chains' quilt, loving watching it slowly grow. Another six sets of four blocks made up, yahee!





In the end, I did find myself quite addicted to making all these little blocks. They are made purely from 2" scrap strips, and I spent a few sessions cutting & pairing up fabrics so I had a pile all ready to go when I had time to sew. My main concern when I started out was to make sure the little blocks had a good strong light/dark contrast happening for those chains.

I used an assortment of low volumes for the light chains. And here's what we are looking at in the next pic . . . a VFWwhite plaid, Maureen Cracknell's 'lovestory'fabrics, a text print, selected portions of AMH's Loulouthi in summer tart, an unknown dotty stripe, Robert Kaufman's 'spot on', Tula Pink's True Colours 'daisybud' in white -which I just love and have almost run out of now, and finally a Pat Bravo batik from the 'elements' collection.


Making a quilt with many many different fabrics of all different colors like this was a little challenge. I raided my scrap basket from under my sewing table for lots of little strips, but alot of my stash is so bold & bright. A few years ago I received a little bundle of 10" squares each month for a year or so and while dated, they still appealed to me and proved to be very very useful for this WiP.





I wasn't too worried about whether the fabrics 'matched' or not. But as things progressed, I was more concerned about working with the colour values to find some cohesion instead of one big scrappy mess. And I'm happy there's still some order and design in it, especially when you stand back a bit.




Oops, it looks like I've run out of design wall space, 
and I've run out of sewing time now too. 
So it seems to me like a very good time to stop and get into the Christmas spirit.
These blocks will still be waiting for me in 2019.
On to chrissy shopping now, {wink wink} only a wee bit behind schedule. 

Until next year . . .


Image result for kiwi xmas pictures

Merry Christmas everyone, 
Linda