Saturday 30 January 2021

in the works

 








- mixing it all up
with Kaffe, Jennifer Paganelli, AMH, and a few other real oldies! 








Lots of things 'in the works' at present, however, this week I've been focused on making some headway with my pastel 'many trips around the world' project. The more blocks I make up, the more I love it!
While it is scrappy, I am reusing some fabrics for continuity. And, I'm finding that I have been unconsciously blending from strip to strip as I make up this latest batch of blocks, which I quite like {not that I'm unpicking any of my earlier blocks!}. 

I seem to have an abundance of multicolour fabrics in my stash! I’m thinking the darker blue/greens will help give a soothing orderly feeling despite all the fabric colour chaos. What I find super interesting though, is that you just never know how a fabric will play until it's right up next to another fabric, it's like magic! 

 
"A quilt made in rounds like this is such a different experience than either scrappy or planned.
You can have a feeling in mind, 
or you can follow where it leads, 
but you are still 'stitching blind' in a sense"
〰 Jodi from Tales of Cloth. 

and here's what 12 blocks look like up on the design wall . . .


Watch this space, Linda


18 comments:

greeneggs said...

Wow I’ve spent the last while thinking about making a traditional TAW quilt and then I open your post and see this beauty! I love it!

Maddy said...

Just love your fabrics, very pleasing to the eye.

ButterZ said...

Coming together nicely

Susan said...

Looking wonderful Linda! The continuity of the blue is perfectly lovely!

Lin said...

Such pretty fabrics and your blocks are stunning. I love the blue line. xx

Julierose said...

I really love your pastel Scrappy Trips, Linda;))) Just so pretty--it is looking great!! I like that idea that it will be a surprise to see how each block looks before you move the cut strips around...what fun!! Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

controlled scrappy - love how you are using up your fabric

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your mix of dots and florals! Pretty colors, too! It's fun to see the design develop as you add more blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

Marvellous colour mix Linda - I began my quilt last week - but due to various happenings I have just one block made so far, more of a trial block I guess. This week should hopefully produce more.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love how those big, bold prints work out in a quilt when you chop them up into little pieces like that. Some scrappy quilts end up disappointments, but this one is like Scrappy Magic. This is gorgeous!

audrey said...

Oh wow! I love, love, love the strong blue/greens lines! This is looking fabulous! Of course, your wonderful fabrics work really hard in your scrappy quilts. I couldn't make anything like this from my stash!:)

Pip said...

I like how the darker teal/blue blocks make all the different fabrics work together cohesively.

Karen S said...

This is growing very nicely. Keep letting it take you where it wants to go.

FlourishingPalms said...

Really terrific, Linda! So much of this wonderful design depends on the fabrics you're using - those bright, multi-colored florals. That makes me recognize that I could never make a quilt that looks as yours does because you wouldn't find floral prints in my stash at all. This is another example of how a quilt can be made that's one-of-a-kind. Keep up the great work!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I absolutely love these fabrics! Somehow they are soft but strong, modern but old fashioned, all at the same time. Just beautiful color.

Ann said...

You’ve chosen beautiful fabrics and colors to make this quilt fabulous. What a joy to see.

Kaja said...

I agree with Ann about how beautiful your fabrics are. The darker blue/green squares stand out just enough, I think, without being jarring. This is going to be gorgeous.

Linda said...

The blocks are beautiful and show off your pretty fabrics.