Wednesday 26 December 2018

my favourite finish for 2018

As we move slowly  rapidly towards a new year, it's fun to reflect on the quilty things that have happened over this year. Forget all the 'likes' . . . the 'stats' . . . the 'views' . . . my personal favourite finish for the year was "Evie's quilt", and for lots of reasons.



It's one of my most simplest quilts in terms of design and it's one quilt idea that I have revisited often. It's a real 'utility' type of quilt and I'm finding more & more this simple rectangular shape can turn out to be a real delight, depending on your fabric choices.

And it's one quilt that has so many special memories. I made this quilt while we were mid flight selling houses, the family home of 40 + years and our rental house. Packing everything up, buying a new house, lining up settlement dates and moving, it was quite a stressful time. Sewing kept me sane!

And looking back now, what was also so special to me as a scrappy quilter, is the mix of lots of lovely fabrics in this quilt.
So many of my favourite fabrics in this. My colour combo here was pink, taupe & blues with accents in plum & gold. I had it machine quilted by Sandy Mayo in a simple all-over floral design. And the dusky pink binding really finished it off nicely - in a very girly sort of way.
















I love all the scrappiness and the memories stitched in.
I'd love to hear what your favourite make was this year too?

If you are interested, 
over on that other quilty place here on instagram a few more favs are being shared too
#favoritequiltfinishin2018
Linking up with Wendy for the 'peacock partyover here
and with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here


17 comments:

Tiina said...

Beautiful quilt! My favorite finished quilt is the one that I made for my daughter. My red x plus quilt comes second.

Suz J said...

Such lovely soft colours, with a few deeper ones to keep it interesting. I haven't finished much this year but I have enjoyed the North Star quilt, and the Patchwork City blocks combine a long hoarded solids FQ bundle and assorted stash!

Julie said...

Such a restful quilt. I think my favourite finish of 2018 would be my AMH quilt, but the one Ifelt most relief at finishing was my daughter's sampler quilt.

O'Quilts said...

I agree with you...it can be the simplest blocks with the right fabric that steals the show...good job

Karen S said...

It is lovely to have special memories attached to quilts. Just adds a little extra something!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I’m with you - utility quilts really resonate with me. I love your color scheme and the scrappiness of a quilt like this. My favorite finish this year is a Rolling Stone quilt I made for my newly married daughter. Tons of piecing but a labor of love.

gayle said...

That's such a homey hug of a quilt!
My favorite finish this year is Long Time Gone, which I made for my youngest daughter. I enjoyed every minute of making it and especially enjoyed the look on her face when I surprised her with it!

Raewyn said...

Merry Christmas Linda!! What a lovely quilt this is, and nice to see it at the top of your 'favourites' list...your reasons for it being there resound with me. My favourite for the year would have to be the baby quilt for my latest grandson...for a variety of reasons too.

Ann said...

Yes. Beautiful fabrics always make a special quilt for a loved one.

Janie said...

Yes, that quilt is beautiful!
I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your
family!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Well done! It looks perfect on that bed and is a good way to combine lots of fabrics with special memories. Thank you for linking up with the Peacock Party.

Nifty Quilts said...

I can see why this is your favorite quilt this year. It's beautiful in it's soft, simple way. What a fun variety of fabrics, and you've blended them so nicely.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Some of my favorites are not because they are stunning - it has to do more with the memories they captured or the challenge they presented. This quilt of yours is very sweet though.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! Happy 2019!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a very sweet quilt! My favorite make of 2018 was a quilt made from men's ties. The kicker was that it didn't LOOK like it was made from ties!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the colours i this quilt for Evie, a real little girl's quilt. I love the artwork on her wall and the lamp and side table - lots of lovely colour!

Cathy said...

Let's hear it for utility quilts! I can see why this is one of your favs!

Kate said...

Simple, but effective. The colors work so well. Wishing you a very happy 2019!