It's been a week of stitching . . . hand stitching that is.
First up, I have a finish to share, my 'chamomile quilt'. I spent a bit of time yesterday hand stitching down the binding.
If you have ever wondered about sending your quilt away to a machine longarm quilter, there are certainly some pluses in doing so. This quilt was big, too big for me to wrestle with on my domestic sewing machine. And all that negative space was just crying out for some special icing. And, there's a lovely sense of collaboration & celebration in working with others. . . so I sent my quilt off to Leeanne from quiltmekiwi for some quilting magic, et voilà . . .
And the rest of my time was spent doing some extra hand stitching on my 'long distance' quilt. Before stitching all my three pieced columns together, I needed to get the fans stitched down and then I used some simple sashiko stitches to secure those special little extra floating bright patches.
I'm using completely different fabrics to the original design, and happily, I was able to use fabrics mainly from my stash. It's all part of my latest mission, "exploring" my stash and making the most of the fabrics I already have, and popping in a few new favourites to keep things interesting.
And this great improv pattern was ideal, my large scale floral prints work so well here and it all goes together quite quickly too.
- until next time