Friday 26 May 2017

'broken dishes'

Remember earlier in the week, when I had a little pile of old 'broken dishes' blocks that I was having a spot of trouble with? Thanks for your +ve comments, you all gave me lots to think about.

So just how to move forward with this WiP?
I did recall my original idea ages ago was simply to join them all up together, and I started thinking that {sigh} maybe some of these blocks would be happier sans sashing after all.


After leaving things to ruminate for a few days, I decided to separate the blocks out and make two quilts. This first one is the 'vintage version' it's scrappy, made up of large blocks with similar combinations. It's busy & happy, with a certain confused quality that I'm finding appealing just now.




Finished quilt top measures 150cms x 120cms.
Another one to add to the growing pile of quilts needing to be quilted !
Linking up this week with Em for 'moving it forward' over here


And it seems I might have a bit of a thing for 'broken dishes' blocks
- pop over here to see what I mean !

a bit more #60
I just noticed that, sadly, NZ Quilter magazine is finishing up very soon.
After 25 years of publishing, it will finish with issue 100, last copy due out in July 2017.
- it will be sorely missed



19 comments:

Julie said...

Definitely looking much more cohesive Linda, that unpicking must have been a pain.
Happy weekend to you.

dutchcomfort said...

Great decision and result, which I love very much!
Hard Copy Quilt magazines have a hard time, as there’s so much to find on the internet. I have two New Zealand Quilter magazines from ages ago. I understand why you will miss it!

Leeanne said...

hey that worked well! Yes I will be sad along with many others to see the NZ Quilter mag go, our only quilting magazine.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the blues and scrappy broken dishes quilt. It looks like something to snuggle under- quite cozy.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I actually found that magazine once at a bookstore and thought it was very nice and then I never saw it again! Love your quilts.

Jane Holbrook said...

Greetings from the other side of the globe. I love your broken dishes quilt top. The blue solids are a nice frame to the prints and it blends in a cheerful hug of a quilt.I am really impressed with your blog, the layout, the font, nice write up. You have a knack with your insight. I will be linking up to your SSSS group. Happy Sewing!

Marie said...

Good choice on the final layout - it really lets those little blocks shine. Love it!

gayle said...

I knew you would come up with something wonderful!

Quiltdivajulie said...

"a certain confused quality" - love that phrase -- it suits the quilt top perfectly!!!

Ann said...

This looks so good, especially when the fabrics mix around blocks like the bright and soft red with blue. They move my eye around. Congratulations on your decision.

Nancy said...

I love what you've done with these blocks, Linda. It's a very fun quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I like how you've worked this one, very nice indeed!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

You did good rumination, I love the quilt, I would have done the same layout. I enjoy looking at all of the fabric combinations.

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

I have seen the same style of quilt done with a repetition of 9 patch checkers and your broken dishes are much more interesting. I love the fun sprit you have conveyed in your quilt. COngratulations on being able to let go. I find that difficult. Regarding your "bit of a thing for broken dishes blocks", I can totally understand. My quilting is my source of relaxation and comfort. I think that when you find something that you enjoy, it is way OK to do it over and over again and again. Sure, we should mix in a bit of stretching. See my struggles at
http://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2017/04/outside-my-comfort-zone.html

But the old standards are a real keeper, too. See my broken record at
http://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2017/05/cheaper-by-dozen.html and
http://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.com/2017/05/more-babies-more-burp-cloths.html

Kate said...

The controlled scrappy looks great! Congrats on another beautiful finished flimsy.

Ramona said...

Your "vintage version" quilt top is beautiful! I love the controlled scrappiness.. it's how I make scrappy quilts, too. It looks so soft and comfie.

Rachaeldaisy said...

That is such a gorgeous top! So sorry to hear your NZ magazine is finishing up. Maybe another one will start up.

audrey said...

Years ago, I made several broken dishes quilts. It's a wonderful pattern with lots of potential! Love your final layout with these blocks. It's a beautiful combination of colors!

Kaja said...

Lovely quilt! I would say a 'certain confused quality' is definitely a good thing to my eyes too.