Sunday 25 February 2018

barijquiltalong {update}











I spent a bit of time this afternoon handstitching all my Dresden Plates down for my barij and southerncharmquilts "wild bloom" quiltalong blocks. After a bit of chopping up & changing things, I've ended up with a variety of centres using pretty fabric and vintage doilies.
I'm very new to embroidery, but I decided that this QAL is the . perfect . time to try out a few stitches, so I've had a go and added some additional little cross-stitches & french knots too. In the big scheme of things my handmade stitches will be fine I'm sure. Oh, and, I also made up this week's pattern ''arrowheads' block, quick & easy, so I'm all up to date :)

Getting so close now to having a finished quilt top
It's great seeing all the different versions of this quilt, pop over here for a little look 
Linking up for 'slowsundaystitching' here
.

18 comments:

audrey said...

Oh these are so beautiful, all of them. I bet they are incredibly relaxing and rewarding to work on!

Julie said...

These are very pretty,your finished quilt will be beautiful.

Leeanne said...

really pretty and hopefully restful.

Karen S said...

The plates are looking great on the blocks and I also love the flying geese on the print background.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Your Dresden plates are beautiful and the embroidery only enhances them. This is going to be so special.

Linda said...

The different Dresden plates blocks are great. Love the flying geese block too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love combining embroidery with quilting

Quilter Kathy said...

I enjoyed seeing the creative centres you made for your dresdens!
Love that photo of blocks with the green dish!

Anonymous said...

You fabric selection is gorgeous. What a beautiful quilt you are making

Ann said...

Lovely choices. I like that you did not center all the dresdens on the background; it adds more movement.

Mystic Quilter said...

Such beautiful Dresdens with the addition of the cross stitch and lace, I can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Janie said...

I went over and checked out the different versions, I like your arrow head block the best.
And great embroidery and stitching!

Nancy said...

Your Dresdens are beautiful with their embellished centers. They are perfect centers for those blocks!

Kaja said...

Beautiful blocks, and just the right amount of embellishment. I like that the background is pieced and not all the Dresdens are complete - it keeps lots movement in the piece.

Suz J said...

Love these whimsical dresdens... can't wait to see how things all fit together.

gayle said...

I love all the little bits of embroidery - this will be a quilt that you could spend days finding all the delightful details.

Kate said...

Love the vintage vibe from the fabrics and the more modern improv piecing. It's looking gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Linda! These look beautiful. I'm in love with your embroidered centers. All the heart eyes!