Saturday 8 February 2014

colour quandry!

Later today I just wanted to relax, put a border on my vintage rosy quilt, & layer it up ready for quilting. But... my daughter needs a new quilt!
She does, of course, have several quilts, however they are not big enough!!  They have a kingsize bed and while I have made a couple of larger quilts, none of them go over the sides & the bottom of the bed. I did suggest she simply buy something to cover the whole bed & then pop her quilts on top.
But no, she did the maths stating that large scrappy squares would do it  (how is it that she can work out exactly how many squares I'd need so quickly?!?), & then began pulling fabrics out from everywhere.
I tried to remind her about chosing large & medium scale prints, some stripes maybe, a few solid fabrics, and assorted small scale prints to ensure everything would work well together. We had alot of fun mixing things up ....AMH, Kaffe, Amy Butler, a bit of Denise Schmitd, and I found that the pearl bracelet fabrics added a real calmness!
Do others make larger quilts?
Without using any real pattern, I feel there's such a lot to factor in really.... the expense, the time, the worry that it won't gel, etc. I really want to use just my stash fabrics for this, but some bits are small so that in itself is an issue. And I am of the feeling that we really need to plan this a bit more, especially as it's to be so large. So I put together a few options, and am still v. unsure which way to go!!!!

Option 1 (with an "anything goes" gyspy sort of feel to it!) (which it what my daughter sort of wants..I think!) ( but would it work??)

Option 2 (somewhat tamer & using less fabrics!) (-ve would need to go shopping for this!)

Option 3 (I consulted AMH blog for this more balanced look!)

Option 4 (using a lovely AMH butterfly print as inspiration)

I would really appreciate some quilty input here please!!!
....it needs to be such a big quilt, I am reluctant to start!
*Updated Sunday - just reading Sarah's latest entry over @ http://sarahquilts.com/  very interesting, and all the comments also applicable & v. helpful for me just now !!!
    

3 comments:

Julie said...

I guess too it depends on what sort of look your daughter is after - Bohemian, scrappy etc. Have you tried looking at Design Seeds for a colour palette as inspiration for your fabric pull - it may help give it a slightly more cohesive look.
Here's the link:

http://design-seeds.com/

Good luck , admittedly shopping for more fabric is half the fun.

Have a great weekend.

Megan said...

I think all those options look good. I think having some 'darks' like in option 2 and 3 work well with AMH, but other than that I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

Ha ha what a discussion huh? It's so interesting, especially how varied the opinions are.

I actually like your top "anything goes" pile. The more fabrics, the less any one fabric choice will stick out. Good luck!