Friday 5 August 2016

my friday favourites #3


It's Friday again!
No sewing happening around here this week, mr D & I have run away for a midwinter beach break!
I know, I know it's freezing here in NZ and just a bit bleak...



... but there's lots of walking & café coffees happening, and catching up with friends. And even though internet access fluctuates down here, I can always find a few interesting things hidden away in blogland... and increasingly more these days on Instagram too it seems! Anyhow, as I'm exploring improv at the moment, that was my starting point this week...


... and I spotted a great way to dip your toes into some fearless cutting up processes,
this 'crosscut' quiltalong run by Debbie from A Quilter's Table, see here for tutorial details.
Heather from Monday Modern is playing along too and she was happy for me to share her progress
Using a bundle of grey neutrals, a few shots of purple & green solid
and a 'piece, cut, re-piece' technique, Heather went from this...



to this...



but wait, there's more...


- I'm loving the greys & the 'pop' of lime green together!


... knowing Heather, I somehow suspect there is still more to come!
here's the link to Heather's ig posts if you are interested to see just where all this ends up!


... and lots of book reading happening this week at the beach
Sherri Lynn Wood's book The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters
explores this improv approach even further- it's all about 'creating, quilting & living courageously'

Sophie from lunalovequilts has been working her way through the 'scores' from this book with impressive results,
pop on over to see!




... and a new-to-me book which I ordered from the library
'Minimal Quiltmaking' by Gwen Marston
check out lots of examples of the minimal theme over on Instagram here- very inspiring!
- take home message 'you are more likely to make a memorable quilt by taking some risks'




...  and to finish, something completely different!
While unpacking a few essentials, look what someone {aka mr D} had also popped into the chillibin
 - this new chocolate by Whittaker's
- perfect for a winter's wild evening all rugged up watching old movies at the bach!


what are you loving this week?



8 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for featuring my #crosscut quilt Linda- but I need to acknowledge that the quilt along was run by Debbie from @aquilterstable using her tutorial for this method - if you check out the #crosscutquiltalong on ig you can seem many great examples using her technique

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

oops, I've just added Debbie's link in too for her tutorial! And I see there's lots of great finihes now!

Julie said...

Hope you have a great weekend away - definitely time to snuggle under a quilt with books, movies, wines and choccy.

Sophie Zaugg said...

Thank you so much for the link to my blog Linda ! I'm working on a table runner using Debbie's Crosscut tutorial too. Love the pop of green in Heather's version. Have a great weekend !

gayle said...

Enjoy your chocolate and your beach. (The beach sounds nice even in the cold, as long as there's not a lot of wind. Not a fan of cold wind...)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks Gayle. Yes, it was a lovely little break. The cobwebs were literally blown away on those wild and windy beach walks, so invigorating!

pandchintz said...

What a lovely break; nothing like a winter walk along the beach. I'm so very tempted by that improv quilt - I've seen a few variations around.......

Kaja said...

That chocolate looks fantastic, perfect for a winter treat.