Sunday 27 May 2018

pinwheel rosy quilt


I have a finished quilt to share with you. Actually the quilt top was finished a while ago now but with all the moving & all the unpacking, things got a little lost.
The pattern I used was Kaffe's 'Sarah's Pastel Quilt' in his Museum Quilts book. I did alter the sizes of my pinwheels & borders to use my pink Anna Maria Horner fabric in the most economical way.  I've made this quilt twice before (and both quilts are now gifted) and it always amazes me how changing the palette completely transforms the quilt.





I'd been obsessed with this particular colour palette for weeks, totally inpsired by a quilt I saw on Judy Newman's IG feed, her amazing Rose Trellis quilt. I just had to make a quilt in those colours too. Oh, and I contacted Judy and she was happy for me to share my {very much simplified} pinwheel version!


I recently had it machine quilted in an all-over floral pattern by Sandy Mayo from 'quilt me creations' (see here for her details). I backed it in a scrappy selection of green & grey Denyse Schmidt fabrics and used a black & white Riley Blake stripe for the binding. The finished quilt measures at 145cms x 145cms.





So true what they say, isn't it?
There really is nothing new under the sun
but {insert smiley face} there's always a fresh way of looking at something.

Linking up with Myra for 'finished {or not} Friday' here at busyhandsquilts
and with Amanda Jean for 'finish it up Friday' here at crazymomquilts

Addit: It seems your comments are not coming through into my email, so I will endeavour to answer them either here on the blog or respond directly to your email address. 
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

23 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely quilt. Love that rambling rose border, it's perfect for this quilt.

Karyn said...

Love all the pink and red.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The rose fabric for the borders really does look like it's climbing up a trellis! Beautiful quilt!

the ark said...

Gorgeous! I, too, have this amazing floral fabric out in my sewing room, just waiting to become a quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

O'Quilts said...

Great post..inspiring Which is just what I need as I laze about.,

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks so much Linda. Yes, the AMH fabric is gorgeous, I was saving it for something special!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

. . . Such a good combo!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you Diann.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks. Glad I found a special way to showcase the AMH fabric, and the black & white stripe seems to finish it all very nicely!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you!

Leeanne said...

Pretty quilt Linda. I like the stripey binding.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

What a wonderful way to use the pink floral; I love it. Of course, the black and white fabrics really adds to the lovely mix. I may have to copy you now. And yes for me, the comments are not coming through on email so I am responding directly to the commenters' email address to make sure they see my reply.

Julie said...

I love that AMH rose border. Quite amazing how different fabrics and colour palettes change the quilts.

Janie said...

Wow, your roses and pinwheels are gorgeous.
Congratulations!
I haven't looked through that book yet, I think I'm missing
out.

Mystic Quilter said...

Smashing versions of the KF pattern, the one in his Museum quilts is quite a large one from memory, maybe around 96", I have it marked in my book but decided it was too big, might have to follow your lead and make a smaller version. The rose fabric on your latest version just looks as through it's growing up a trellis.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That rose fabric is amazing in the borders. I love the effect!

Kaja said...

Fantastic use of the rose fabric, and I really like this colour combination a lot too.

moosecraft said...

Love your rosy pinwheel quilt! I can picture that on a Summer porch!
I do aspire to stitch a Kaffe quilt one day....I just haven't put the time aside to make it happen! :-)
I've got the same issue on my blog with the comments not being emailed...it just stopped without me making any changes...

Quiltdivajulie said...

Of the three you've made, I like this one the best. None of us are getting our comments - something to do with the new GDPR issues. I, too, am responding on the blog unless I have the commenter's email in my contacts and want to share something personal.

Raewyn said...

What a gorgeous quilt Linda - I think the bindng finishes it off beautifully!

Robin said...

I love the use of the red and pink floral. It's just gorgeous.

Karen S said...

Lovely finish. Great to see your completed quilt. I agree that they all look so different depending on the fabric used. That is quite remarkable. Good luck sorting out replies.

Kate said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!