Sunday 2 September 2018

bits & bobs from the sewing room




Here's a few pics of recent bits & bobs from my sewing room. First up, a little progress on my 'brimfield star' blocks. You may remember I started making the brimfieldblockstar quilt, aka
" Linda meets brimfield with love" back in early August, yes?



I had the idea of setting aside time on my Sundays for some slow stitching and enjoy making something by hand. Well today was the first chance I have been able to just sit & stitch. Linking up with Kathy for 'slow Sunday stitching' here at kathysquilts.







I'm really enjoying the hand piecing process. I'm trying out the 'flat back' stitch this time around to join along those curves, and it does seem to be easier & gives a tidier look. {thanx to Gayle from mangofeet for the suggestion} {and here's a video showing the 'flat back' stitching method}

I also stumbled across a post about 'fake EPP' during the week. It's by Allison from allison-sews and she explains how she's trying out this different technique with her 'brimfield' blocks.

And there's a few more of those 'triangle tiles' blocks up on my design wall now
I've started mixing in a few solid fabrics with the prints, to help calm things a little . . .





I'm loving how these fabrics all play together, so far. There's still quite a few more blocks to make though, I'm not even half way yet! Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' over here.


And finally, Benita from benitaskinner is hosting an online quilters meet & greet. To meet lots more other inspiring quilters visit Benita's main page on Tuesday 4th September.



16 comments:

Leeanne said...

Today must be the day for blog posts! I love the wee dish you have your latest EPP project in. Your Brimfield blocks are lovely. Those triangles are looking good whipped up into blocks too. Happy Sunday to you........

Kate said...

Your Brimfield blocks are so pretty and you make it look so easy to assemble. The HST blocks look great! Love all those pretty colors.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty - I went to the link you gave about a "flat stitch" but didn't see anything about it do you know which post it was at? I haven't worked on my Brimfield for awhile - maybe this fall

Karen S said...

Great work with your Brimfield blocks. They are lovely! Lots of work there.
And I always enjoy seeing the HSTs. Great colours again.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love your hst blocks! Great fabric choices!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All of your blocks and projects are so pretty, Linda! Love seeing your progress. I hope you had some time to work on your Brimfield blocks today!

Jennie in GA said...

Great Brimfield blocks... I have the pattern, too. Just need the ever elusive time! Adore your 1/2 sq triangle color choices!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Ooh isn't that Brimfield block interesting. And of course, your other blocks are all beauties too.

Julie said...

Love that dish your EPP pieces are in. Thanks also for introducing me to a new blog - Allison Sews.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your color combinations and fabric choices are always so lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! And inspiring us all :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the fabrics you're stitching into the Brimfield Star blocks, and you must be almost at the finish line with your triangle tiles -they really are looking so striking. Like the addition of solids in there and you know I'm going to say I love the addition of the Tents fabric, one of my favourites.

Kaja said...

Two pretty projects. You are so good at finding pleasing fabric combinations.

Linda said...

I'm intrigued by the Triangle Tiles blocks. Why do some of them have a square in the corner? Probably some obvious answer which escapes me! All perfectly stitched as always, Linda.

Benita Skinner said...

I'm loving your Triangle Tiles blocks, Linda!

Ann said...

Both of these projects are delightful. I always enjoy looking at your progress. Have fun.

Candace said...

I love your triangle tiles quilt. Love quilts with lots of HST!