Saturday 22 June 2019

improv by numbers

I ended up taking a little sewing break because, well, I just didn't feel like sewing! Back into it this weekend though, with more fun progress on my 'long distance' quilt. The quilt pattern is a beautiful  boro inspired quilt designed by Anna Maria Horner using the entire selection of @ccerruti Long Distance fabric collection, hence the quilt name.

While I love the lush colours of the original quilt, I went for a slightly different look, based on what I had here in my stash. I added in a few new prints from AMH's Second Nature collection which mixed in beautifully with some of my other older AMH fabrics.
At times, my stash seems to me to be top heavy in florals, so this time I also tried to add in a good mix of floral plus abstract too.




And I enjoyed this approach to improv, the pattern instructions were easy to follow with each piece is listed with a column-patch number, such as A-1, B-2 etc to help with orientation. 


While this looks 'scrappy' I spent some considerable time trying to get some cohesion with my fabric choices, and I found repetition of fabrics helped. Here's a pic of my 'design floor' getting the last column cut out (on the right) and assembled . . .











I've just loved taking this pattern and making it my own with personal choices. It's ended up a square quilt, 60" x 60" but there is ample opportunity to increase/decrease the size if you wanted to. Love those little extra bright patches that float across the top are stitched down to add a lovely handmade touch. I've got a couple more to hand stitch down and then it's ready for the 'to be quilted' pile.

Linking up with Wendy for this weekend's "Peacock Party" here
and with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' over here
Off now to tidy the sewing room, until next time, Linda

13 comments:

Susan said...

This really is a lovely quilt top Linda! Your choice of fabric and colour palette are spot-on, with a good balance of florals, checks, patterns and solids! Will you be hand quilting it?

Kleine Vingers said...

That is a lovely quilt and looks well balanced.

Unknown said...

I love your colour sense.

Karyn said...

Oh no, another one to add to the 'to make' list!

dutchcomfort said...

Great looking quilt, I love the addition of geometric prints!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The fabric "overlays" on this wonderful quilt reminds me how my grandmother would mend all of our quilts when we were kids. It is a wonderful design. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's a great design, and I’ve really enjoyed taking this pattern and making it my own with personal choices.
Have a good week, Linda

grammajudyb said...

Wow,I really like this one. I am going to seek out AMH's pattern.. (quick side note: as I was typing Anna Marie's initials, I notice they are the same as my granddaughters! Trivia!) Anyway, thanks for the intro to this pattern!

Raewyn said...

I love how you've worked with the 'scraps' to get it 'right'. .. you do have such a gift for working with these fabrics in to achieve a unique, your own, look. Lovely.

Karen's Korner said...

Scrappy quilts are my favourite and yours is so pretty. Well done.

Rebecca Grace said...

Fantastic pattern for showcasing those beautiful prints! I love those peekaboo quarter Dresden plates, and you did a great job creating a balanced and cohesive scrappy quilt. Well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

It's a great pattern, I have one tucked away here but I do agree that it's good to make it 'our own' using different colours and fabrics. You have created a beauty!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am really loving this quilt.......keep saying to myself I don’t need another pattern.....