Monday 29 July 2019

summer stack sundays

One of my favorite things to do with fabric is mixing & matching fabrics together from my stash here to create new combinations that might oneday . . . someday . . . become a quilt. I'm sure lots of us do that too. 
Sometimes I start out with a focus fabric. And sometimes it's a pattern that grabs my attention, like this improv flying geese pattern from treehousetextiles that arrived a week or so ago.


I love the vintage improv style of this "Seaglass" quilt, and Emma's scrappy style really caught my eye, however I'm not a big fan of the blue & green combo. So I've decided rather than follow with the safe choice shown , I'm going to switch it up with a fabric stack that's 'more me'. He-he, I might have to rename my version though.




Hope all these come together as I planned.
How do you chose fabric for a new quilt?


I'm joining in with Allison from campbellsoupdiary - she is hosting #summerstacksundays a new link-up party, which goes through til August 30th, 2019. Actually, it'll be my 'winterstack' fabric pull, because of course it's winter over here in NZ.  Follow the links to join in too.



10 comments:

Susan said...

Your fabric pull is gorgeous Linda! That orange spot is fabulous! I saw the Treehouse Textiles pattern on Pinterest and wanted immediately to make a blue, green and white quilt. I often use a feature fabric to build up fabric options for a quilt especially if I want a controlled scrappy palette.

Kleine Vingers said...

I like your choice of fabric especially the pink/salmon colours.

Robin said...

I love the combination of fabrics that you have put together. It really sparkles.

audrey said...

Lovely fabric pull! I make stacks of fabric for all sorts of reasons. It really is one of the very best reasons to be a quilter, just getting to pet the fabric!

Julie said...

Seaglass comes in all sorts of colours. check out this link for yours: https://funguerilla.com/sea-glass-diamonds-shaped-by-the-waves/

Allison said...

Even in winter, it looks like you might still be dreaming of summer with some of those soothing florals... a really pretty pull! Thanks for linking up!

LA Paylor said...

I seldom pull all the fabrics in the beginning unless I'm doing a theme fabric piece like cows or dogs. If I'm doing a fabric challenge I do pull coordinating fabrics. Actually I do pull a range of fabrics sometimes, like I wanted to do some 3" sawtooth stars so I pulled all my cherrywood hand dyes out for them. I find choosing fabrics to be the most difficult, and will pull lots of choices out of the bins when making a decision, making quite a mess. Can't wait to see how yours come together!
LeeAnna

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Very pretty stack, Linda!!! And I love that design.

Janie said...

Yes, I think Seaglass will look great in your print/color choices. You have a wonderful way of mixing up prints.Thanks for the link ideas Linda.

Ann said...

You put fabric together in such great ways. Always good to see your blog. Thanks for sharing what inspires you.