Sunday 28 July 2019

in celebration of scrappiness

scrappiness noun
scrap·​pi·​ness | \ ˈskra-pē-nəs \
Definition of scrappiness: the quality or state of being scrappy

- and three more to add to the group




- nothing like a little bit of animal print!






- and I've been faffing about with those border choices

I'm almost decided on this blue & white stripe {above pic} for a border, and the red floral not so much. I found it hard to come up with something that worked with all the red gingham.
And as I'm using mainly scraps and small pieces, there's not too much opportunity for fussy cutting. Each block though, has been a great exercise in rummaging through the stash baskets to pair up fabrics - finding fabrics I'd forgotten about.

It's a real celebration of scrappiness, with lots of florals, gingham, and spots!






Off now to cut out a few more pairs as I need some 1/2 blocks for the sides.
Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here at quiltingismorefunthanhousework
Happy weekend everyone.

8 comments:

Kaja said...

One of my favourite things about a quilt like this is the fun to be had fabric spotting - a few I know and some I wish I had come across before. The gingham is doing a great job of holding it all together, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like these - the colors and the pattern

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those hexie blocks, and the red gingham you're connecting them with. Are you EPPing the hexies, or piecing them by machine?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorite - and this one is going to be amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

MissPat said...

I've been making these star blocks using EPP mixing florals with blenders. Didn't start with a plan other than to make stars to have a handwork project to carry. I like your stars turned into hexies, which I could do,but I've used up all my purchased diamond papers and can't find more by the same manufacturer. I suppose I could just cut my own, but that would be tedious. Anyway, I like the look of yours and it prompts me to get back to working on mine.
Pat

Kleine Vingers said...

I love the scrappiness of your blocks. I want to make one as well...

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my gosh these are so beautiful Linda. I love them...your work is so neat too. You are tempting everyone to make them too! Happy Stitching from me in Canada where it is hot right now!

dutchcomfort said...

Yum, that gingham fabric works so well with the scrappyness!