Tuesday 8 December 2020

a little patch action

I've been busy piecing my patch quilt this week, it's a bit of an adventure with some different patch action. I started out sort of following the picture of a vintage quilt from Roderick Kiracofe's book "unconventional and unexpected", see here for more details.

There's quite a mix of fabrics in this quilt top, including Liberty, solids, ginghams & AMH. 
I found the trick to making a fun {but not visually overwhelming} scrap quilt like this, was to have a few 'rules'. I included a few longer strings of the same {or nearly same} blocks. I also added some solid fabrics, which help to give a bit of a break from all the busyness. And, adding those larger 4patches helped create some scale contrast. 

I went off in my own direction eventually though, as you do! 
Nothing like a detour and a finished top - or quilt back maybe!









- checking my light & dark contrasts 








The book "unconventional and unexpected" is a real favourite of mine. I've made two other quilts inspired by the vintage pics in my beautiful book. There are no instructions, just heaps of lovely improv quilts. First up, my version of vintage 'flying geese'...



And then I also joined in with Sujata Shah’s @therootconnection  #uanduqal back in April 2019 and made my 'overlapping octagons', from page 51. I used a variety of prints and had a go at having 'red' as my new neutral. I tried to have some corner squares with bolder half square triangles to help define more of the octagon. Another fun quilt to make … 


To see the enlarged photo just click on the pic
Until next time, Linda


7 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely quilts all!! I really like how you set your Flying Gees--mine are still "flocking" on my design wall (haha)
Lovely pieces...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all those flying geese!

FlourishingPalms said...

I love this sort of "anything goes" quilt, but "with a theme." Your personal addition of a couple rules helps the quilt design be more defined, and I like that. It always feels good to cut and use smaller pieces. I don't think any of us will ever completely use-up or finish making all-sorts quilts. Your patches quilt will be a beautiful finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All that patchwork just makes me smile, Linda! Looks like you've been having fun mixing up those fun fabrics and different sizes of blocks!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Three beauties -and I agree 100% about that book.

Karen S said...

What a great way to combine 9 patches. Love the size changes and the great fabrics.

gayle said...

I think your new one absolutely sings of summer!