Tuesday 15 December 2020

sewing it all together

This week I decided to have a go at the RAY quilt by Carolyn Friedlander, it's a free pattern inspired by the classic log cabin. Follow the link here to see other versions.

Those of you who stop by often will be thinking "hang on, where are all the blues?" Oh yes, this is a bit of a different colour palette from my usual I'll admit, but I'm loving the ivory & blush teamed up with a few darker colours. 
Sewing it all together was a quick & easy process. The hardest part was deciding on the order of fabrics. In the end I decided that my fabrics would playfully bounce back & forth between light and dark choices from the centre out, with just a little gentle colour transitioning from border to border.  Quilt top measurements approx. 57" (145cms) x 71" (180cms). 








I really wanted to use a pretty Outback Wife fabric as my starting point, but I only had a couple of snippets left... so I joined them, and added a little floral collage... perfectly imperfect!
















     To see the enlarged photo just click on any pic
Until next time, Linda


11 comments:

gayle said...

That really is a different range for you, but I can see that you had a lot of fun with it!
And what an interesting take on a log cabin!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Ooooo this is so pretty. I love the scale. I too work with a lot of blue, and it really is nice to mix things up sometimes and use a completely different palate.

FlourishingPalms said...

Well didn't that turn out nice? It was a good idea to use Outback Wife as a starting point. I have some blue bits of O.W. left in my stash, after making a dress with it. Don't you miss that fabric? And her blog and Instagram? Will you quilt this yourself?

Susan said...

Oh I like what you did! That worked out so well and is beautiful!

audrey said...

Oh yes! I can totally see why this pattern appealed to you.:) Gorgeous use of your florals!

Ann said...

I like what you did with your strips and think I could make some good baby quilts in this style. There are still lots of strips and leftovers hanging around here that need to fly away. Thanks!

Karen S said...

That has worked really well. Love the idea of adding small pieces together to make it work.

Marie said...

Love what you did to be able to use the last scraps of your favourite fabric. Isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy it in one last quilt and know that you have used every smidgen of it? Lovely quilt.

Janie said...

Yes, I saw Carolyn's challenge and I intend to have a go at it, but in my own timing!
Your version is amazing! Very beautiful combo of colors, prints and solids, in your classic style.
Good work.

Mystic Quilter said...

I think I may hop over and download the free pattern!! Love your mix of colours here Linda and your floral in the centre - beautiful!

Suz J said...

This is so pretty Linda! Merry Xmas 😚😚