Friday 6 January 2023

once upon a time...

Hello hello Happy New Year everyone!

Once upon a time, a long long time ago...
I began a GT&SB quilt








- my favourite block so far





and then fast forward to 2023...







Oh my, this project has been simmering away for a long time, I checked back and saw that I actually started it in 2015. It's Jen-Kingwell's 'Green Tea and Sweet Beans' but as I'm not a big fan of applique, my pace has been slow, and I've only picked it up now & then over the years.

Jen's patterns all have that vintage-y, thrifted look about them that I really love. GT&SB is basically a scrappy sampler quilt put together in quite a unique way. Jen's version looks like nothing was bought specially to make her quilt, but rather, simply collected over quite a long bit of time.
I too, was digging deep into years of my scrappy stash. trying to mix up all the fabric styles, contemporary with traditional, 30's, reproduction, vintage, Japanese, and a healthy dose of Liberty.

So, after months years of procrastination & reinspired by Lila's recent new start, I finally laid out all my completed blocks to reassess things. 
Lovin' this, it's a little dated but still whimsical & still very pretty ... and so close to finishing. I can't just shove it back into the wardrobe, I want to complete it now. 
So... I will carry on with one final burst and complete the last four bigger blocks, and the checker blocks, and the filler strips required to complete the quilt top.

Here's today's progress ...



- "poppie" block, but I'm calling it "echinacea"


Linda

10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Keep going, I can't wait to see this sewn into a flimsy! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I've got that pattern somewhere but never started it! Thanks for showing it - I might need to look and see where it is - is it in a booklet or a book?

MissPat said...

It's a very happy quilt. One I would not attempt because applique and I do not get along. I'm glad to see you're energized enough to get it finished.
Pat

Susan said...

Well, it takes at least eight years for the average quilter to build up a sufficient enough stash to make this quilt! Good luck with all that appliqué. It’s going to be gorgeous!

Astrid said...

WOW! That's gonna be a gorgeous quilt! Lots of work, glad you are working on it again.

Karen S said...

You have so much done already and it looks wonderful.
I am not keen to do applique either, but I hope you stick to it!

Denice Barker said...

I love applique, I prefer applique and those points scare me so congratulations on tackling all of it! It's beautiful, just the color scheme I love.

Mystic Quilter said...

I certainly don't think this is dated Linda - it's a lovely treasure of fabrics collected over the years. I thought I had written a comment before but now realise it would have been Instagram, I always seem to become mixed up with blog and instagram!

Marie said...

Isn't it great when you fall in love all over again?

FlourishingPalms said...

Good for you to be picking up an old project! It's evident you've already put a lot of work into it. Really, you're so far along that finishing the top in the next few months shouldn't be a problem, should it? I admire you for returning to it. I have a couple projects that make me cringe to think of finishing them - my tastes have changed so much. I'm glad you will complete this!