Wednesday 11 January 2023

so close


Time for an update on my Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt! 

This is a sampler quilt that is put together like a jigsaw puzzle, a scramble of blocks with a nonlinear look. There's a good mix of machine piecing, English Paper Piecing and machine & hand appliqué. 

I don't really think it's a good idea to leave something for so long though ... it's a little challenge now ... my tastes have changed ... and I'm over making sampler quilts.

Usually anything with scraps I'm all in, and these pretty blocks do have that real scrappy vintage feel with lots of contrast in colour & prints, all brought together with the greys, black & white fabrics. And, once I had everything out on the ‘design floor’ I could see that most of the blocks were already there👍 and so, despite earlier reservations, I was keen to keep going! 

Luckily, I found my initial selection of fabrics for this, I had tossed them all together in a basket years ago. So, I’m using those plus adding in a few recent prints – but still going for that organised chaos! 
This week I've made two more 8" drunkards path blocks, a nine 4" pinwheel blocks, and started on the 1" wide filler strips & checkerboard sections. I've also finished the 12" square daisy block and started on the final 10" x 20" floral applique block too.

I'm now focusing on how best I can "lift" things just a little. I knew I wanted to add a little more white into the mix, along with some darker 'pops' of blue into those filler blocks. And on the whole, I'm really happy with how things are progressing. 




















Here's the blocks laid out almost as they will be eventually ...



As you can see, there's only a couple of missing parts to sort out, 
{three starflower blocks which are cute but a tad fiddly and some more tiny checkerboard fillers}
It's certainly a labour of love
 - and a fabulous skill builder 
- and I'm getting so so close to finishing now! 

Linking up my progress with Kelly for NTT here
Until next time, Linda


11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I enjoy seeing this quilt top when you show it - I had thought I had this pattern but I really looked for it after your last post but couldn't find it anywhere but did find several other by the same designer - I'm too busy finishing up other things right now to even think of getting it so in the meantime I will watch yours grow.

FlourishingPalms said...

Look at you go! What an assortment of colors, prints, shapes, designs... you've got it all going on in this quilt, and it's gonna be great. One of those that needs to be hung on the wall so all the parts and bits can be spied-out, studied, and appreciated. Yay you for being "so close!"

Astrid said...

OOH Linda, so close to a flimsy! It's gonna be a beauty.

Kaja said...

I can remember seeing these when the pattern was first released and liking them a lot, so it is a pleasure to see you working on this now. It is interesting that your tastes have changed a little: do you think you will do much to try and make it more to your liking or is the basic format you've grown past, do you think?

Susan said...

I LOVE the little pops of blue and white- it is really a signature style I associate with your quilts. I think it is pulling it all together beautifully!

Rebecca Grace said...

You are getting so close, Linda, and it looks wonderful! I do know what you mean about struggling to return to an old project once your tastes have changed. I do hope you stick with this one though because it's so lovely!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Gosh this is going to be an amazing quilt. So bright and cheery - a complete feast for the eyes.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oops - thought I had left a comment here but no! You're not too far of the finish line are you Linda and it's all looking so good. Beautiful mix of pattern and colour, what is the finished size going to be?

Karen S said...

Wow, this really is looking great. And so close to a finish. I am impressed!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

So jubilant and beautiful - love it!

Raewyn said...

It's looking good Linda- and not too far to the finish line now. This is a pattern I've wanted to make - one day!!