Sunday 28 May 2023

1000 flowers


Hello hello. I've been busy today adding the binding onto "1000 flowers", my strippy triangles quilt. Super happy with this whispery palette, inspired by a vintage quilt. 
I may never be a true “modern” quilter or make a quilt from all solids, but you know right, it's all scrappy and all floral around here, and I'm okay with that. 
There really is a great mix of pastel florals in this quilt - Kaffe, Tilda, Outback Wife, a little AMH, and a couple of other nameless brighter bits & bobs from my stash - and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

This quilt earned a trip to the "quilt spa" for longarm quilting treatment by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi. I asked for edge-to-edge quilting in the Baptist Fan pattern, a real fav of mine and perfect as a wee nod to the original vintage inspiration quilt. For the backing I pieced together a few large strips of grey florals. 
I chose an {oldish} small floral print in plum for my binding, 1000 Henley Flowers from Makower. It seems to contain things nicely ... and draws out all the warm pink colours ... and I 💕the idea of lots & lots of floral fabrics front, back & sides, hence the quilt name!  
Finished quilt measures {approx.} 62" x 56".

Enjoy the photos ... 







- in the afternoon sunshine







- and one final close-up, loving the texture from Leeanne's quilting


Linking up with Cheryl for Favourite Finish in May here
and with Kelly over here for NTT

Until next time, Linda


18 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It looks absolutely beautiful! You've used lots of sweet fabrics and the baptist fan quilting is just so perfect. It's one of my favourite quilting designs too.

FlourishingPalms said...

How pretty, Linda! I'm sure you know that my quiltmaking aesthetic (no florals; lots of solids) is nearly opposite to yours but I can sure appreciate this beauty that you've created! A sweet color combo, and a most-suitable quilting design. I especially admire your technical skill, piecing all those half-square triangles! That's no small task - to make, trim, and get all the patches to fit together so nicely. Well done, you!

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous quilt, Linda;)) I really love it...hugs, Julierose

Marie said...

I'm with you - I don't think that I'll ever make a quilt of solids because I don't tend to buy them - but it doesn't take away from the beauty of your quilt. Just lovely. And the quilting really gives it that vintage feel.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a pretty finish, Linda! I love all the pretty soft prints together, and the binding is just right for it, too. 1000 Flowers is the perfect name for this quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE it, Linda!! It's the perfect mix of random and orderly. The quilted texture is fabulous, too!

Bonnie said...

That is one gorgeous quilt. And the quilting finishes off so nicely. You've done a great job of using a variety of florals and go withs.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Stunning quilt finish. The 1,000 triangles pattern has been a favorite of mine for years. . .although, I'm not brave enough to start one on my own!

Rebecca Grace said...

It's beautiful and it's timeless, Linda! Modern, schmodern -- EVERY quilt pattern and even the most traditional fabrics started out as "modern" once upon a time! I love your quilt and Leeanne did a great job scaling the Baptist fan design to complement your patchwork.

Raewyn said...

Very gorgeous finish Linda, with the florals inside and out!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt and I do like your words - whispery palette! I spot a favourite KF fabric of mine - Guinea Flower - in your first photo delightful mix of fabrics used. Baptist Fan - perfect.

Susan said...

Another delightful quilt to add to your quilt 'catalogue'! I love the backing and the biding really sets off all the triangles! Baptist fan is also a favourite quilting design of mine....can't go wrong with it. Modern or not, your quilts are timeless, as Rebecca Grace (previous comment) says.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my gosh Linda...beautiful fabrics and beautiful quilting. What a combination!

Denice Barker said...

beautiful quilt, Linda. This is just about the right size for me for hand quilting. The bigger ones are work, this size is do-able. I love, love this.

Susan Smith said...

Lovely and well done. I too am pretty much a scrappy, floral/blender type & have not used very much solid over my years of quilting. Take care & hugs.

Karen S said...

That is a delightful finish and I do enjoy the Baptist Fan quilting.
Lovely work.

audrey said...

Well I for one am delighted that you are all scrappy and floral in the quilt department! Love seeing your amazing quilts. They always make me smile.:)

Ann said...

I agree with Audrey. Another lovely scrappy quilt. The soft colors and your arrangement work together. Baptist Fans tie all that scrumptious-ness together. Congratulations.