Monday, 17 August 2026

the only dishes I'm doing today ...


I started making these blocks maybe 6 weeks ago, promising myself I'd make a few whenever time permitted. I was aiming for forty-eight sweet little 9" Broken Dishes blocks. It's been a meditative, no-rush kind of situation.
After I'd made up the last few blocks today, I added long lines of more scrappy sashing between my bunches of four blocks. Loving this mix of modern & traditional. 


Dishes done!













Broken Dishes quilt

pieced, not yet quilted
fabrics all from my scrap baskets & stash
inspiration for the quilt & colour palette from Amanda at prairie quilt co.



11 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those broken dishes blocks are great. I like how you sashed them!

Astrid said...

Beautiful! I love the different sashing! Such a great idea!

Karen S said...

They are all looking lovely. I like the interest created with the different sashings.

FlourishingPalms said...

Six weeks to turn out a lovely quilt… you’re a whiz! The pops of soft and bright pink prints give it a delicate look. You did so well! I hope you find a place to put it, so you can admire your efforts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The title of your post caught my attention right away, Linda! Your broken dishes went together beautifully, and I love the scrappy sashings. This is just gorgeous - such a happy look!

Katie said...

Such pretty, springy colors. A nice change from the crispy summer heat!

Rebecca Grace said...

What a delightful finish! I am so intrigued by your scrappy sashing, thinking about an upcoming project in my queue (assembling my late MIL's "foldy bits" pineapple log cabin blocks into a little quilt for her great-granddaughter). I definitely want to add sashing both to get the quilt to a usable size but also to deal with the thick seam allowances of these blocks that have multiple layers of folded fabric on top of a foundation fabric. Was thinking of white sashing and rainbow scrappy cornerstones but was concerned that would alter the look of the quilt from what my MIL had intended and make it less "hers." Now you have got me looking at it again and trying to envision sashing cut from all the different leftover rainbow batik fabrics instead... I wonder if I have enough of them?? You always inspire me, Linda!

Janie said...

I love it!! I like the different sashing colors mixed around and your Broken Dishes blocks are super. Congratulations on a fabulous top finish!

Marie said...

Love the idea of adding sashing to this quilt - makes everything pop.

Kathy said...

This is such a delightful quilt. And your sashing is going to be the biggest hit of the year! Everyone will be following your lead...it's a great way to blend your fabrics as well as to set off the design of each block. Fantastic!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These are the best kind of dishes to do! how cute are these with all that scrappy goodness