Sunday 30 April 2017

but it's a quilt now!



Well yes, there has been some progress here in the sewing room, and my improv pieced, low volume, scrappy magic numbers project is a quilt now. However, once I got it together and machine quilted all over the quilt in my usual straight line 1/4" outline way, and added the binding, I couldn't resist trying out just a little bit of big stitch hand quilting . . . and once I started, I just couldn't stop.


So, it's all round the wrong way- you know, the binding should be the last step, yes?
But I'm enjoying this so much, doing lots & lots of ‘slow stitching’ and having fun thinking of all the different ways I could embellish those low volume squares. {see over herehere and here for earlier quilt details, progress photos & inspiration source}


That little 'cross' stitch is so quick & easy, it's one *Jen Kingwell does on some of her quilts.
- such a great idea.



and the New York Beauty and Butterfly 'orphan' blocks . . .





My quilt measures 165cms x 158cms. I still have quite a bit of big stitch quilting to do yet, it's so nice to have some handwork on the go now the evenings are getting cooler. Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here and with Kathy here for 'slow Sunday stitching'


 a bit more # 58
There are lots of tutorials out there about handquilting.
Here's a few favourites I refer to often -

Sarah Fielke's one on big stitch hand quilting, which you can find here and there's another indepth tutorial here covering traditional as well as big stitch quilting.
There are some great videos over here, Jen Kingwell on handquilting, including her * 'cross' stitch quilting technique.
Wendy from wendysquiltsandmore has written an informative post all about her quilting thoughts with lots of wonderful photos too, well worth checking out. Oh, and the tutorial for a 'magic numbers' quilt is here by Katie over at sewkatiedid, #afunpattern.

Happy Sewing
Linda

25 comments:

Leeanne said...

A finish is always a joyous feeling! What a great end to your week.

Julie said...

I bound my Liberty Bloomsbury before I finished hand quilting it. holds it all together and stops the edges fraying too much with all the handling and moving.
Enjoy the process, it looks great.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely, lovely!! Enjoy the handstitching.

Karyn said...

Thanks for all those links. I like the magic numbers scrappy look.

Ariane said...

I love this quilt. It's so soft looking and the quilting and cross stitching is amazing. I need to do this on one of my quilts.

Nancy said...

It's a beautiful quilt, Linda. I like those little X stitches! And I also like the balance you created with several of the strong fabrics spread through the quilt blocks. I've never bound a quilt before quilting it. Even though I pin baste my tops/batting/backs, there still seems to be a slight shift by the time I get to the edges. I don't know how successful I would be quilting when the edges are already bound. But maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I like the idea of no frayed edges.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you so much Nancy! I did wonder about things puckering up a bit, but all ok so far. And yes, I too love the X quilting stitches, they are so easy to do! I just felt all those low volume fabrics needed a little extra ‘something’ or it could have ended up quite boring!
I guess anything goes really, I'm certainly enjoying adding those extra little bits of embellishment.
Thanx for stopping by, Linda

Linda said...

Love your different stitch ideas for hand quilting. A really pretty quilt.

Maryse said...

It's a lovely quilt, I love the soft palette and particularly that butterfly block.

Marie said...

I'm drooling. Your border and the extra big stitch touches are just the icing on the cake for this one. Love, love, love it.

Kate said...

Enjoy your slow stitching. It's a beautiful project to spend some additional time with.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Your quilt is lovely; I'm partial to the black and white ticking stripe for the border which is perfect. Thanks for sharing your finishing techniques, I may have to try some hand quilting.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much charm in this sweet quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! And inspiring us all!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love what you're doing with the cross stitch and other embellishing, really adds wonderful texture to quilts.

Mystic Quilter said...

Linda, meant to say thanks for the links you've given in your post, lots on Jen Kingwell so I've bookmarked!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Wonderful finish! I love the ticking-like border framing the fun composition. Love your quilting too. Thanks for the link to Jen Kingwell videos!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the idea of doing some machine quilting and then adding hand quilting later on! I will have to try that on a project soon. Your quilt is beautiful! You have a wonderful way of putting different kinds of fabrics and blocks together, Linda! I'm wishing I could come visit you and take a lesson or two. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

A fabulous project for slow stitching! I love what you're doing on this quilt!

margaret said...

popped in form Kosha`s blog but cannot seen to find a way of following you can you help

patty a. said...

Your quilt is lovely! I have more than one time put the binding on before all the quilting was done so you are not alone!

Raewyn said...

Lovely to have it finished but still able to stitch on it some more! It's beautiful, Linda, the big stitch hand quilting sounds very relaxing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks Raewyn! I was a bit worried about adding hand quilting AFTER everything... but I did do lots of machine quilting all over it, so fingers crossed its ok!
Loving having a break from the sewing machine and just hand quilting at the moment. Have a good week, Linda

dutchcomfort said...

Great idea to have it finished and still being able to add some more hand stitching! Love the quilt!

Kaja said...

Keep it up,I say. I can't see why you can't bind first, since everything is anchored down by the machine quilting. Thanks for the interesting links.

Jodi said...

This is gorgeous, makes me want to get up and sew! But it's past my bedtime.