Wednesday 21 February 2018

sew stitch snap SHARE #20

Happy Wednesday
and welcome to another 'Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE'

With a few more WiPs hanging around here than I care to admit,
I really did try to avoid starting something new one day last week . . .  but I failed!
Still, I do now have a finished quilt top to share with you




To sash . . .or not to sash?
Decisions, decisions!






My inspiration was a vintage 30's quilt made up of florals and shirtings, in a gentle palette. For my quilt, I wanted each block to showcase one bright vintage fabric, and I used a variety of low-mid volume background fabrics to try & help limit control the scrappy look.

The original quilt didn't have sashings, but I decided to add four vertical rows into my version. And, of course wouldn't you know it, I didn't have enough of any one fabric to do all the sashing. So I mixed it up and used two different low volume fabrics, a Kaffe grey spot and a Jen Kingwell's 'behind the scenes' grey print. I used that wondeful Phillip Jacobs 'tree peony' fabric for my outer border. {see back here for early details}

I enjoyed using this combination of vintage and new fabrics to create a pretty quilt. And you know me, I love any project that uses up my scrap and stash fabrics. All ready now for basting & quilting. Oh, and any ideas about a name for this quilt?


That's it from me this week. Time now for another fortnightly 'Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE' linkup. My pick from last time was Donnalee from DONNALEEQ post on her blocks for the barij & southerncharmquilts "wild bloom" quiltalong.


I love how she added this doily to her Dresden Plate block, you can see more here
Have a little peep at her earlier blocks, more pretty sewing. . .


and I just couldn't resist showing you all this photo from last time too . . .


Glen from quiltswissy is making a fun 'Little Red Riding' quilt, pop on over to see more.
{all pics reposted with quilter's permission}



Do you have a project to share this week too?
Just follow these simple guidelines:
  •  Link up any post from the past week that features a sewing or stitching project you have been working on, whether they are WiPs, starts or finishes. You can write as much or as little about your project as you like, and snap off a pic or three, and share here.
  •  Somewhere in your post, please link back to this one.
  •  Also please take the time to read and comment on some of the other linked posts.
Thanks for joining us,
Julie & Linda

18 comments:

audrey said...

Oh your quilt top looks so sweet! It has a lovely improv. feel to it and the fabrics are wonderful! Always so much inspiration here!

Julie said...

This is so pretty Linda, I love some of those floral centres, and that tree peony fabric is what I used a lot of in my Mum's 70th birthday quilt. Such a pretty fabric.

Cathy said...

I like the mix of fabrics and especially like how you've used a big print in the border. It's got a wonderful shabby chic vibe to it. No good idea for a name, though!

Ann said...

Such a lovely quilt! So glad you made and shared it with us. Glen's block made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that.

Linda said...

Another lovely gentle quilt. Such pretty fabrics. Like the way you sashed it, reminds me of a ladder. When I was a little girl I remember having a toy which was a ladder and when you squeezed it a little monkey climbed up and down.

gayle said...

I love your new quilt! You have such a good eye for color and pattern - your mixes of fabrics always sing beautifully.

That big bad wolf of Glen's cracked me up!

Raewyn said...

You really are the artist aren't you, combining all sorts to make some beautiful - and so 'YOU"!! ANd good on you having a finished top after your impulse start last week :-)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Thanks for putting my Big Bad Boy in this post! I really love that block. This will be one of my favorite quilts when it is finished.....I have plans for putting words to the song, Hey there little red riding hood, by sam the sham and the pharaohs!

Karen S said...

Your finished quilt top is delightful. Love the gorgeous combination of fabrics.

Kaja said...

I love the border print, and your quiet sashing; together they pull the whole quilt together beautifully.

Janie said...

That is a beautiful rendition of a gentle vintage 30's style quilt. I like the blocks with the sashing and
lovely border fabric choices too.
Nice work, Linda.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How about Soothing or something involving breaths of fresh spring air or clothes fresh from the clothesline for the name? The combination of fabrics is glorious. WELL DONE!!!

Carli The Quilter said...

Great idea! Really soft tone to this quilt. Thanks for hosting.

DonnaleeQ said...

Thank you for featuring my Southern Charm Quilt blocks. I am on holiday with my husband in Auckland, New Zealand for the next three weeks visiting this wonderful country.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh thank you Janie. Yes, I love that border fabric too. I only have a small stash selection here with me just now – inbetween houses still- and I’d been looking at it for ages wondering how & where I could use it! Happy sewing.

beth s said...

Love your pretty quilt!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm sorry Linda, I accidentally deleted your email from my IPad before responding and I don't see where to contact you. I'd be very honored to have you highlight my quilt. Reading emails when sleepy is not a good thing to do.

O'Quilts said...

you are such a motivator....this is a great post