Saturday 7 October 2017

handkerchief corner quilt top {a little more progress}



I hadn't intended sewing today, lots of gardening took my initial attention. However, Leeanne from quiltmekiwi kindly sent me a few extra plaids, and they arrived today. They were all shirts bought from Op Shops, washed & dismantled to 'one day' be made into quilts.
So I popped into the sewing room for an hour or so late this afternoon and made a few more blocks for my handkerchief corner quilt. And don't those shirt plaids mix in so easily with all the other Kaffe pastel prints?


Interestingly, there are many versions of this block, and with just as many names too - 1/4 log cabin, handkerchief corners, and Ann from fretnotyourself added a few more - half log, housetops (her favorite), improv log. 


At present I have 20 blocks set 4 x 5, but am going to go a bit bigger . . .
it's fun trying to combine this unlikely mix of fabrics
Linking up with Myra for 'finished or not Friday' over here at busyhandsquilts
and with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here  

23 comments:

Linda said...

I'm sure this quilt is like one I saw at Kaffe Fasset's gallery exhibition at the Festival of Quilts last year. Old quilts he had collected. When I find time later today I'm going to look back on photos I took then.

Leeanne said...

Well done.........looking very good.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes! I'm trying out a 'toned down' version of a vintage inspired 'handkerchief corner' quilt from Kaffe's 'Passionate Patchwork' book. Thanks for stopping by.

dutchcomfort said...

I love the KF fabrics with smaller prints. I guess they are from before I started to collect quilt fabrics ;-) It’s looking fabulous!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great in plaids. I never find old shirts to take a part some of you are just lucky I guess. :)

Juliana said...

What a beautiful beginning on this quilt! I love the play of colors and patterns.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I do so love this mixture of fabrics . . . just wonderful!!!

Monica said...

You have SUCH pretty fabrics in this, Linda. It's looking good!

gayle said...

Oh, no way could you resist those plaids! They add a wonderful bit of sparkle!

Julie said...

Fabric happy mail from friends is always lovely to receive, especially when it's for a current WIP. It tones beautifully with your sewing machine.

audrey said...

Yes! The plaids blend in wonderfully.:)

Kaja said...

The plaids work perfectly. Old shirts are my favourite source of stripes and plaids now.

Karen S said...

The fabric does look good and works so well.
How much bigger are you planning to go?
Cheers, Karen
http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

Linda said...

Love the combination of Kaffe fabrics and the recycled shirts. Adds a little "pop" to the blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I also love the fun m8x of plaids and florals! This will be a happy quilt!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These are looking great. How wonderful to have all those new plaid scraps to add to add to the mix. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

cspoonquilt said...

Really fun scrap blocks! I like the plaids and checks with the prints looks great!

Ann said...

The shirting goes with your lovely floral shirt so well. Even though those are probably menswear, your quilt has a charmingly delicate, ladylike air. I think this is your signature style. I must try one and see what my style is. I t.hink it may be crazy, old lady. Ha!

frayed at the edge said...

I would call it offset log cabin. Lots of pretty scrappy blocks!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks so much Ann
Yes, I think the plaids really help save this quilt from being overly sweet.
I’m certainly going to keep an eye out for more shirts to recycle now!

karenbbsnow said...

I love the colour combination .... so pretty

Kate said...

Lots of pretty pastels and brights. It's going to be gorgeous!

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect Linda!!