Thursday 16 August 2018

whimsy quilt {update}



You saw what was currently up on my design wall last week, including those five 'whimsy' blocks, yes? They had been up there for quite some time, so I decided I would update you all on my progress as I've been working on this WiP lately.




















It always seems to take me a while to get back into the swing of making these blocks. 
Note to self: needle down, scant 1/4 " seams, breathe . . . 



. . .  but by the time I'd pieced these four more, I was pretty much on a roll




Judy Newman's pattern calls for 35 pieced blocks, each measuring 22.5cms (9") square. For earlier details about my quilt progress pop back here. I thought I should do a bit of a head count too, I figured I must be nearly there by now, fingers crossed.



And a lovely surprise, I had finished 30 blocks, only five more to go! Not a hard ask after making all the others, so last thing today I began stash diving for a few more florals to finish the last five blocks. Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here and with Myra for 'finished {or not} Friday' over here



And my minature daffys have started popping out
Spring must be just around the corner . . .



16 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are really pretty blocks, Linda! I love the perfectly chosen fabrics for the star points that go so well with the floral centers. Congratulations on getting so many sewn up!

Linda said...

As always, your choice of gorgeous fabrics make the blocks zing. So pretty.

Leeanne said...

Wow that project is coming together so quickly! Perfect for this upcoming spring weather.

Karen S said...

They are looking wonderful. Well done on persisting with the blocks. All the fabrics are lovely.

dq said...

This quilt is so so so wonderful! It is perfectly scrappy and I love the colors. That striped fabric is perfect too!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful mix of colors in those quilt blocks -- LOVELY!!!!!

dutchcomfort said...

Gorgeous blocks!!! Every time I see your whimsy blocks, I know for sure I want to make the quilt. Some time, next year. I’ve been so stupid not to buy the pattern and templates when I had a class with Judy Newman back in May...

Robin said...

Absolutely delightful! I love the red stripe in the corners and the design it makes when the blocks are sewn together. The mini daffodils are so sweet.

audrey said...

You are getting so close! What a gorgeous looking palette!

O'Quilts said...

I love it...just love it.

pandchintz said...

Your blocks are gorgeous - keep going!

Julie said...

Maybe I'll need to borrow that pattern from you one day .... this is going to be such a beautiful quilt.
Happy weekending to you.

gayle said...

I love these blocks! And those striped corners just make all the flowers dance!

Janie said...

I love your mini daffodils!
And your blocks are a spring garden, very cheerful.
Nice work.

Ann said...

They are beautiful. I love the florals with the red and white stripe. You always inspire me to work on some circular blocks of my own. Thanks.

Rebecca Grace said...

I am in love with your whimsy blocks -- perfect pairing with those lovely romantic florals. And piecing them by HAND -- just amazing. I will look forward to watching this quilt come to life in your skilled fingers!