Saturday 26 September 2020

back working on 'triangle tiles'



I might have pulled out another UFO and... 
I might have cut out another block or three... 
Hello 'triangle tiles'

I do love vintage inspired designs, and I've really enjoyed playing with these floral combinations, {see back here for earlier details}.
Such a simple pattern. And yet getting the right mix of light/dark fabrics that work together has been a good challenge! The busier prints were tending to overpower, so with this week's batch of blocks I've toned things down a little, dipping in and using a few plains, checks, and non-busy low volumes to help your eye to unscramble things. Here's a few progress pics . . .









- and a b&w pic to check my values

I am finding a few -ves about leaving projects for too long before picking them up again. I can tell my piecing skills have improved considerably since starting these blocks, as a few blocks haven't turned out the same size 😓… but nothing a little unpicking couldn't fix.
Also, if you don't write down your original thinking for a quilt, it can easily get forgotten! Luckily, I had a couple of pics stashed away in my folder for this one. And, of course, I was able to scroll back through my posts to August 2018 to find my original post. The jury is still out though, on whether I add a border like the inspirational quilt.


On the +ve side, I've returned to these triangle tile blocks with enthusiasm and focus, enough to get it all together into a quilt top! I did fine-tune my colour palette down a little bit more as I made more blocks. I found using different tones of my colours -blues, reds, and greys- worked nicely, rather than my usual all-out anything goes. I've also been able to add in a few recently bought fabrics, ones that add bit of new life to this project. And while it took a bit of time, nestling all those seams together went really well, so I'm happy. 








Until next time, Linda

19 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my, all those small HSTs!! That takes some tenacity Linda! I think a border would be nice, containing everything in a neat package.

gayle said...

I've always said that some projects just need to marinate for a while. These happy triangles are a good example! Love it!

Julierose said...

Lovely triangle project...so pretty--Great work
Hugs, Julierose

Karen S said...

I love the way these blocks look and come together. Triangle tiles is a perfect name.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely - I love HSTs and your fabric choices are glorious.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's just terrific - I love the balance and energy you've achieved with these blocks. I too use b&w photos to check for contrast.

Linda said...

Another really pretty top. You must be spoiled for choice as to which quilt you will put on your bed.

Mystic Quilter said...

HST's lend themselves to all sorts of fabric combinations, bold and bright or soft and subdued and I love the mix in your quilt. I'm happy you included close-ups of some of the blocks your fabrics are delightful.

Julie said...

OMG, all that seam pressing. I am always in awe of quilters who sew lots of HST. Do you have a new quilt to start when you finish all your WIPs?

Ann said...

I like these sixteen patches and always intend to make one, too. Thanks for sharing yours. Beautiful.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love this, Linda! What size are your HSTs? Such an interesting blend of order and scrappy abandon, when you have a whole tile of HSTs in each fabric pairing. I think you're doing a great job making it all work together. This will be beautiful, with or without a border.

LA Paylor said...

this is great Linda... I like the blend of textures while following the lines

Nann said...

Multiples increase the impact of the design!

audrey said...

Love this one! It's so interesting how you've been able to use the busy busy prints with the more plain ones and create such a great looking quilt top. The bright reds really make everything pop. Wonderful job on all the piecing coming together.:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks Audrey. It took me a while to figure out how this could work. Once I’d narrowed down my colour palette, making each block of 16 HSTs with{almost}the same 2-fabric combo, plains included, not only helped calm things but also highlighted the effect en mass!
Hehe, I’m a sloppy piecer, usually going for finished-rather-than-perfect! But most of my HSTs were quite consistent after making so many, and nestling the seams worked well!

pandchintz said...

What fun! Love it Linda.

Janie said...

So beautiful, sixteen patch 1/2 square triangles. You're good with value and your piecing skills are super.
Inspiring.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh, I sure know about the challenges of nesting seams... or, just getting them to fit together! With so many seams, the possibilities for errors just climbs. I admire you for sticking with this project. It looks great! No doubt your quilting will make it even better. Aren't we glad we blog, so we have a place to check for information?! I have visited old blog posts countless times in the past month, as I've made a concentrated effort to make labels for all my quilts. I had to revisit my posts to remember batting types, and how the quilting was done. Good information, right?! Yay for blogging!

Unknown said...

Hi Linda, let me say my cordial thanks to you for your outstanding blog contribution. I was mostly impressed with your header image. Incredibly gorgeous. Also diving into the back working on triangle tiles details. I was indeed pleased and happy to for being able to digging the deep into your colorful job it inspite of having desire to hunt some information on ceiling tiles. Of course much respect for publishing and sharing such intelligent stuff.