Monday 5 October 2020

pinwheels on point













I'm enjoying a spot of simple sewing at the moment. Bonbonerie, a pattern by Christine Vlasic, is a scrap quilt combining plains and prints to make a classic pinwheel. I have altered things just a little, my HST squares are cut at 5" {not 4 3/8" as the pattern states} and I'm going to have smaller setting triangles in my border. 

It's wonderfully scrappy and to help create some cohesion, I've worked out a little plan - I'm coordinating the colours within each block, usually a busy or floral print with something geometric. For my pinwheel 'backgrounds', I'm using a selection of neutrals, including light coloured plains, tone-on-tones and other non-busy low volumes.

Still very much a work in progress,
with many more blocks to make yet, and reshuffling & checking my colours as I go
Pop over here @thimblesandneedles to see her recent finish
and the pattern is available over here at Liz' Etsy shop

Until next time, Linda

11 comments:

Kleine Vingers said...

Those blocks are lovely

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very colorful scrappy look - love it

Julierose said...

This is coming together so well, Linda;))) I love your idea of the flowered prints and geometrics together.. Nice balance...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

So lovely - your stash lends itself well to this style of quilt making. Beautiful!

Mona said...

I'm inspired. It's a simple patch, but it makes an impact, and what a fantastic way to use up some of the scraps. I'm starting mine today!

FlourishingPalms said...

You're making lots of HSTs! But good for you to be using scraps. This is going to be a great-looking quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Liking this one Linda, perfect fabrics for this particular pattern and I like how you've changed the size to a nice 5" - who needs the 3/8ths"!!

Karen S said...

Looks like a lot of fun with all these lovely fabrics.

Ann said...

I like the lightness of the fabrics. Soft and clear. Lovely.

Janie said...

Pinwheels are fabulous fun, one of those classic blocks that have been called a puzzle block because you can see many different geometric shapes in a pinwheel quilt depending on what angle and light you see it in.

Suz J said...

Go you! Pinwheels are probably my least favourite block to sew so I'm always super impressed when someone chooses to sew it voluntarily 😂