Friday 9 October 2020

scrappy 9patch all finished


























A couple of years ago I signed up for a few months of stash packs from Amitie, little 10" squares of "pretty" cottons across all genres … certainly not big pieces, but enough to make a 9 patch block!
So I began making blocks, adding in extra prints & solids as needed from my stash to give things a bit of an "already been loved" sort of feel. Whenever I had some time at the machine I'd make one or two more blocks and slowly the pile mounted up until I had enough to make a good sized quilt. 
For my decision on how to set these blocks, I combined ideas from a Kaffe pattern I've used many times and Jo's 'wintersweet' quilt @frankieandray   

Yep, there's a real clash of fabrics, along with some strong colours to stand out amongst the others. And I'm really loving the slightly vintage vibe that this eclectic mix of fabrics gives to my 9patch quilt.

In keeping with that vintage feel, I backed it with an old sheet I'd purchased from a 2ndhand shop. I had it quilted in an edge to edge pattern called 'waterdrops' by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi {thankyou!}. The binding decision was a tricky one and it took me some time to actually decide. In the end I used a warm gold tone-on-tone Alison Glass fabric. Finished size measures 69" x 72".

A super satisfying quilt to piece, and another finished quilt!  
Linking up with Kelly for needleandthreadThursday here
and Anja for 'TGIFF' here

Until next time, Linda


18 comments:

pandchintz said...

Love it! What a great way to use up small pieces. Love the backing and quilting too.

karenbbsnow said...

Very pretty, with a sweet vintage vibe !

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love your 9 patch quilt, very pretty. What a great idea!

Cathy said...

There's just something very comforting about a humble nine patch quit. Congrats on the finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love scrappy! And that is a great setting with the inner border of squares. Pretty finish, Linda, and it looks lovely on the bed there.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love all the scrappy variety in your 9-patch quilt. The switch to single blocks for a subtle border works really well. 9-patch blocks are one of my favorites.

Denice Barker said...

This is really nice! Can you tell what size the individual blocks are or just the single pieces?

Leanne Parsons said...

It has such a fabulous vintage feel!

Mystic Quilter said...

You are on a roll with your quilt finishes! Beautiful nine patch Linda.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Such a lovely cosy quilt. Happy snuggling :)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Linda, that's a really lovely finish. Congrats!

Frog Quilter said...

What a fabulous scrap quilt. Beautiful!!!

gayle said...

At first look I loved the vintage summery look to this! (And it took me a moment to remember that you're headed for summer, rather than the winter I'm facing) I didn't notice that 'secret border' until the second look! What a beauty!

Julie said...

You'll be pleased to have finished another wip. I've subscribed to the stash club this year, some have been very useful for my beart quilt.

Karen S said...

This is a great way to use up a lot of different fabrics from stash packs. Lovely end result. Your quilt is delightful.

Ann said...

A charming quilt. Your inner border works well and the quilting is great.

Rebecca Grace said...

Fabulous finish, Linda! As for the “already-been-loved” vibe you wanted, you totally nailed it. This is one of those quilts that floods you with nostalgia even if it’s the first time you’ve seen it. What size are your 9 patch blocks?

audrey said...

And what a gorgeous clash of colors! Love it!:)