Wednesday 18 September 2019

wintersweet quilt - up on the design wall



















Audtioning for the inner border in the above two pics. The pattern calls for 5" squares all around, however I'm quite liking this gingham too. Which do you prefer?






I've made some progress on my 'wintersweet' quilt this week and all the centre 25 blocks are now made. It's a bit different to Jo's original here, where she used a darker palette as a nod to the colder Winter months of the year, and included her favourite Liberty scraps.
I've chosen to make it in my usual scrappy, boho style. There's lots of blending and blurring, a little bit of fussy cutting, and I'm also repeating favourite combos . . . it's a happy collision of fabrics & colour!

Next up is the first border decision, and then it's onto the last 28 blocks for the final border. The finished size is around 72" square.

When I started, was thinking this could be a perfect pattern for some of those wild and crazy prints that you just don't know what to do with. However, playing with these bold, multi-coloured prints has been both frustrating & interesting all at the same time. I must have reshuffled these blocks around a zillion times now, trying to get some balance, hope this is it. I might need a low volume fabric fix after this . . .


13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so fun, Linda! I enjoyed looking closely at your photos to see what you did with colors and the fussy cutting. I like that gingham for the border, too!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is a treasure Linda!! I have noticed the pattern before on Instagram and was very tempted - after seeing yours I have to buy the pattern!! Two simple blocks but again your use of fabrics is wonderful.

Leeanne said...

Lovely snippets of pretty fabrics. You take very appealing and inviting photo's.

dutchcomfort said...

When I see your quilts, I really want to try to make a quilt without a lighter background, but somehow that doesn’t come naturally. I think that the gingham will look awesome as a border!

Suz J said...

The gingham is my favourite too. It seems to pick up common colours throughout the blocks and create a unified feel.

karenbbsnow said...

Gorgeous!!

Susan said...

It's looking great Linda! I agree about the gingham- it does seem to have a unifying effect. And you have a real flair at mixing and matching such a variety of prints!

Ann said...

Your quilt reminds me how infrequently we use bold prints. I’m intrigued by the way they work together and am glad you included lots of closeups. It’s such a fun quilt.

audrey said...

I'm really admiring your effort to corral all those bold prints together into one top! It's got such a spunky vibe. Love how it looks so far! As far as the border prints? That is really hard. I really love how you so effectively use gingham, but it's a hard choice to say one or the other. It probably is more apparent in person.:)

O'Quilts said...

very cozy quilt

Karen S said...

Looking good! Love all the fussy cutting that has been happening, too. Both borders work but I will put my hand up for the gingham.

Cathy said...

Oh, I really like the mix and match of fabrics in this one as well as the alternate churn dashes and nine patches. I think I like the gingham border. But I love gingham.

Kaja said...

I like the gingham too. I also love the way your photo has a pile of books, neatly matching the colours in your quilt.