Thursday 5 September 2019

hexis on stripe




You may remember my friend Glenys and her box of hexis, see this post back here. Well, she's made up a large rosette with some of those hexis she was given. She wants to make a throw size quilt to be gifted back to the lady who gave her the hexis in the first place.


Today we pooled resources and started looking at background and border fabrics. I recently ordered the mushroom dusky pink & white Riley Blake stripe, too wide for my liking, but it looked amazing when we placed the rosette on top. And, we both loved the deeper rose 2" solid for the first border, but then the fun started.

We tried bringing in fabrics from both sides of our stash, modern and traditional, but it wasn't easy. We ended up digging deep into my really dated fabric baskets to find fabrics for another border, thinking 'something old' could be the best way to go. The 'birds and basics' fabric by Harriet Hargrave 2004 and 'blended traditions' by Marsha McCloskey were the running favourites, and then I found a couple more options.

Glenys is going to think about all these exciting choices over the next few days, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she decides to do. Have a peek . . .




 'birds and basics' 


 'blended traditions' 




But maybe . . . what about a Kaffe fabric?


or this French General one?


 I'd love to hear your thoughts too. 
Until next time, Linda

3 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

I first had the idea I was reading an older post, cause I recognised the photo’s! I love the pink stripe for the background and the KF for the brder, but I don’t think you can go wrong with whatever fabric you choose!

Mystic Quilter said...

My go to would be the Kaffe fabric, it seems to fit perfectly with the style of the fabrics in the hexagons.

audrey said...

So very curious to see what you do with this one! So many good options. Love that striped background!