Friday 30 August 2019

a calm combo








I love a fabric pull . . . full of promises, yes? I usually go for all-out colour, but I felt like a bit of a change this week. I rummaged through my scrappy low volume stashbaskets and paired them up with a few different mustards . . . and . . . tada . . . this is my 'calm' combination. 

Inspired by my new book, wabi sabi sewing by Karen Lewis, I'm making a wee start on a few log cabin blocks, low key in colour, using mis-matched yet treasured scraps. I'll keep going with making more of these 12" blocks over the weekend, as I want to make it at least lap size. It's lots of simple sewing, and so relaxing to piece together.

Linking up with Kelly here at myquiltinfatuation for 'needle and thread Thursday' and with Wendy for this weekend's 'peacock party' over here at wendysquiltsandmore









and, you may remember, Susan from patchworknplay and I did a little fabric swop recently
- my blues for her greens
A lovely assortment of 'greens' arrived yesterday . . .


Until next time, Linda

11 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

You and Susan had a lovely swap! It’s nice to see your calm fabrics for a change, though I’m totally a colour girl. Love those log cabin blocks! ENjoy your weekend!

Leeanne said...

Your sewing looks calming.....so cool Karen signed your book, she's a lovely person!

Celine said...

Lovely calm combo!

Susan said...

Oh, I love those log cabin blocks Linda! You really do know how to put fabric colours together! The little pops of red are great! And I love your new header too! I wish I could get mine looking so clean and crisp!

Julierose said...

Just lovely blocks--nice greens you swapped for...hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Great mix of color and prints! Swaps are good for loosening things up, kicks out the 'matchy, matchy' syndrome.
Your book looks like a good read for inspiration too.

Julie said...

This is such a lovely restful combination, Your blog looks as though it's had a co-ordinating refresh. Have you put your son to work?

Kaja said...

I wrote a comment and then realised that Julie had said exactly (word for word) the same thing! But lovely fabric pull - I'll look forward to seeing this one grow. And yes, your blog is looking very swish!

Mystic Quilter said...

So after the rich boho look of your last quilt you're going in the opposite direction with the cooler, calmer colours - lovely!

Ann said...

This change is as lovely as your boho. It's fun to see the differences and to work with different styles.

Mary Marcotte said...

Now I want more of the low-volume bits! This looks just so calm but the little pops of color give it some zing. Don't you love just a little zing?