Sunday 18 August 2019

Harry Potter: from wrap to quilt

Isn't it lovely spending time with someone close, 
who wants to know how you make the things you make?






Some of you may know, my daughter loves her wraps. And I'm always amazed at how many beautiful fabrics & designs there are available. I've been itching to get my hands on some of the fabrics, I had imagined adding the now-not-needed-wraps into the quilts I was making - you know, recycle, upcycle, mix & matching the different textures, etc.

However, this quilt is for Olive, my eldest grandaughter. Olive loves Harry, and yesterday we made a start on turning the wrap into a quilt.
Raegan carefully worked out where she wanted to cut the wrap - not easy - and how long & wide she wanted the quilt to be. I left her to it while she carefully pieced her sections together and then we spent some time pinning the top to the backing . . .  always nice to have a second pair of hands when pinning things together down on the floor, yes?

 - hmm- m-m-m- 5.6 metres of wrap goes a long way! 









 - she had to make a join and we both loved how it looked, so she left it 




- pic from the free Harry Potter quilt patterns here

And, as my daughter was so keen to get it finished, today I showed her how to do the machine quilting. Just lots of practical straight lines, lots of rectangles around all the shields, enough to secure all the layers together. Which she managed beautifully.
The wrap itself is made from quite a heavy cotton {lenny lamb 100% cotton} so she used a flannette sheet for the backing, making it very cuddily and warm.
The binding went on next and between us, we managed to get it all hand stitched down this afternoon. I also gave her a very quick lesson on adding in some extra texture with hand quilting, which she can do at her leisure.






And one last photo before this quilt goes home to Olive's bed
- she's going to love it I'm sure.




6 comments:

Susan said...

What a fantastic project to do with you daughter Linda! I’m sure Olive will enjoy snuggling under it!

Robin said...

Oh it looks so comfy. What a wonderful project; making use of older fabric, getting three generations involved, and teaching new skills.

Mystic Quilter said...

Olive is going to be as warm as toast under her quilt, such a special one made by two very important people in her life, she'll treasure this for sure.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hi Maureen, Yes I received a couple of sweet photos last night, and Olive looks very happy with her new quilt!
And, I did enjoy showing my daughter a few more quilty processes and techniques.
Have a good week, Linda

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous on every level.

Cathy said...

Such a clever idea! What a wonderful way to recycle and make memories. I didn't realize there was so much fabric in those wraps.