Friday 6 March 2020

florals & plaids


I haven't felt like sewing lately, lots of other things happening. But today I wandered into the sewing room and had a little play. The 'flea dash market' pattern {see here} by Jen at Amitie has been in my folders for years. I decided to take this traditional block and give it a touch of something new! 

Here's how my design wall is looking . . .







I’m eeking out every last bit of my #annamariehorner fabrics, lots of different ones, little leftovers from other projects, and mixing them up with 'Harriot' woven plaids by carolynfriedlander for the backgrounds! When going all-out scrappy, I find having a 'receipe' helps control some of the chaos!


And look what happens when I add a little scrappy sashing & corner stones, 
sew scrapilicious . . .


Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here
until next time, Linda

17 comments:

audrey said...

Wonderful pattern. I have admired many of the quilts made in it! Yours already has your special stamp on it. It's lovely to be able to dive right back into quilting on occasion.:)

karenbbsnow said...

So pretty. You do scrappy so well!!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many pretty fabrics!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I absolutely love what you are doing with these Linda. I have been inspired by you to buy more plaids and checks. Soon I will have enough to start playing wth.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

chrisknits said...

I love Churn Dash/Monkey Wrench and all it's variations!! Yours will be gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

Great modern look to the Churn Dash block. Will you be setting it on point?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Flea Market Dash looks like a fun design! Your pretty fabrics are perfect for it!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks so much Diann. Yes, each simple 10 ½” block is an adventure with AMH colour and playing with the values = lots of interest!
There are so many fab fabrics out there for backgrounds too, it’s nice to break away from white and use these plaids!
Have a great week, Linda

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful fabrics in those blocks Linda. I love the pattern, it's in Jen's book Quilt Lovely along with about three others I've marked!

Susan said...

That Jen Kingwell pattern has been on my radar for some time. It’s one of the few in her Quilt Lovely book I HAVEN'T made! As Karen, a previous commenter said, you do scrappy so well.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great quilt you are building!!

Ann said...

You chose the fabrics for your Churn Dash blocks so well and the sashing fabrics update this classic beautifully. Such fun you are having.

Karen S said...

That is a lovely variation on the churn dash block. Lots of interest in those lovely fabrics.

Marie said...

YUM! Absolutely love the light blue floral that you show with your blocks is so beautiful - it's hard to take my eyes away.

Raewyn said...

Oh I love how these are looking Linda - the sashings idea is just brilliant and looks fantastic :-)

Magpie Sue said...

This certainly qualifies as a Scrap Happy Day project. I love all the prints and colors. Just so happens that block pattern is also one of my favorites. :-)

Karen's Korner said...

Scrappy quilts are my favourites and yours is looking very pretty.