Tuesday 24 March 2020

courthouse steps {update}




Planning to spend some time with these courthouse step blocks this week. Carefree cutting and simple stitching. Feels good to use what I’ve got here in my stash, digging deep to find more variety.



Here's a peek at what more of my string blocks will look like all together in a quilt. Seeing them spread out like this on the 'design floor' is certainly spurring on more stitching - it's a bit like eating potato chips, you know, you can't stop at just 1 or 2 -  and gives me an idea of how many more blocks I might need until I get to the "finished" size.






And thanks to a comment from Ruth, I checked out this link here. Ah I get it now, it’s not about always sewing a wonky slanted seam; it’s also about how the different widths of the strips make for the crooked look! Using strips in varying widths from 3/4" - 2" means each block turns out a different size.
And having a few blocks where a fourth strip is added creates a crooked look too when all grouped together. The extra row helps bring the block up to the right size.

Once trimmed up they all look fine, and charmingly wonky & slightly off centre!


And here's how 20 blocks look so far . . .





. . . still at least 10 more blocks to go I think
 
You can find Bonnie's free tutorial over here at quiltville
Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here at myquiltinfatuation
and hey, let's all sew lots and keep the quilty inspiration flowing here in blogland!
Until next time, Linda

10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

such a pretty scrappy...tried and true pattern always works..

Julierose said...

Oooh now I just love your wonky courthouse blocks!! So pretty..my kind of sewing...scissors' work... Stay safe hugs, Julierose

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your wonky courthouse blocks. I am thinking of making blocks larger than Bonnie also. Thanks for sharing pics so I see how great they can look.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty neat quilt - love it

Ann said...

We are all finding something in our stash to do. What fun to use all your scraps so beautifully.

pandchintz said...

Yay! They look great. Enjoy x

audrey said...

Love your crooked courthouse step blocks! Been so long since I made any quite like these. The imperfection makes it all look so much better.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

This quilt is coming along at pace here, your blocks are lovely.

Karen S said...

You are certainly making the most of your scrap stash. The blocks are looking great.

Raewyn said...

Love it Linda - it looks like very free sewing and a wonderful use of your scraps. I love them spread out on the design floor and design bed :-)