Sunday 10 May 2020

a scattering of half-rectangle triangle blocks






My latest quilt project was initially inspired by a vintage crazy quilt made by Elizabeth Lilian Neilson Mitchell, 1873-1948. Elizabeth lived in Melbourne, Australia at the turn of the 20th Century with her husband and eight children in a small two bedroom cottage. Her husband worked for a fabric manufacturer and would bring home small fabric samples for Elizabeth to stitch.
Her quilt has more recently been featured on the cover of  Making Australian Quilt by a lovely book of Australian historic quilts.

I remembered too, seeing a version of this quilt when Jodi from talesofcloth posted her one back in 2015, see below pic, upper R)hand corner.
And, I had also downloaded 'sidewalkchalkquilt' pattern by Meghan from thencamejune sometime ago, so I decided to combine all these ideas.


I played with the measurements, and my half-rectangle triangle blocks ended up at 5.5" x 7", slightly different to both the sidewalkchalk pattern and Jodi's measurements. It was the first time I had made these HRT's, so I did a bit of research, and thanks to Susan from patchworknplay I found a video by Melanie from southerncharmquilts - excellent & easy to follow.
I also found another resource here @swimbikequilt well worth reading.

As I was deciding on fabrics, I worked on a rough ratio of 70% assorted peaches & cream, and the rest blues & black with a tiny bright hit of gold. And, like the vintage quilt I wanted the colours scattered randomly over the quilt. I opted for four rows of those HRT's and the other rows were a combo of ideas from Meghan's pattern.
I shall no doubt play with the orientation of the rectangles for a day or so, before I sew things all together. Here's a peek at how it's looking so far down on my 'design floor'  . . .








Linking up with Cyndy for 'oh scrap' here
Until next time, Linda


13 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, you’ve jumped straight in! It’s gorgeous Linda! Your colour palette is spot on! Thanks for the back story of Lillian Mitchell’s quilt. That book is full a historical details and I must go back and re-visit them.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh now this is different Linda and I'm liking it very much!

Kleine Vingers said...

It is lovely, I like it very much.

Marie said...

Love the simplicity of this - beautiful.

Robin said...

Enjoyed your post. I had to back and check out all the links you provided. It was a fun journey. I love your quilt, the colors, the placement, the whimsy.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like a fun pattern!!

Suz J said...

Such an interesting history lesson (gulp... eight kids... two bedrooms!) but it just goes to show the resourcefulness of quilters. I think your version is doing justice to the original,the Sidewalk chalk pattern (which I also love) and your own stash and style.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love your calming color choices on this one. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Karen S said...

Love the way you have combined all the ideas you enjoyed. Looking good so far!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Such a different design that I have not seen before....like the way it pulls your eye all over! It looks like a ton of fun to make!!

Ann said...

It's such a treat to read about historical quilts. I love the way you've pulled three different variations together to make your own. Thanks for sharing the tips, too. This will be fun to see you finish.

Mystic Quilter said...

I like that you've gone your own way with this quilt, changing things up a little, always exciting to see the results.

juselig@cox.net said...

Makes me think of our July 4th - not garish - very muted. Very nice!