Sunday 21 February 2021

change of plan

Got a low-stress high-fun improvisational quilt in mind✔️
Got a selection of low volume squares ✔️ 
Got the fabric strips ✔️

I've had a change of plan this weekend. After struggling for days with my improv project I gave up! There seemed to be such a monumental leap between the inspiration quilt and my piece, so much so that achieving a cohesive look seemed to be slipping out of my hands with every move I made. 
I’m still #scrapbusting though, using the same fabrics but different, because we don't always get it right first time!
 
I’m making1/4 log cabin blocks inspired by @hezbez13 and @beccascrazyprojects using the 'scrappy quarter cabin' tutorial by @afewscraps {which you can find here}. 
Sticking to just the peachy pinks, plum, blues & toasty tans from my earlier attempt, I began making up these improv blocks.  









18 blocks done ✔️ 
Oh goodness, it feels great to be moving forward with something finally!
Linking this WiP with Cyndy for 'oh scrap' here

Until next time, Linda

12 comments:

Susan said...

This is looking wonderful Linda! I gave up the idea of ever loving improv a long, long time ago. Sometimes we just have to admit a particular technique or concept is not just for us and do what we love! Some things can't be forced.

Suz J said...

I feel this post so much... I have improv inspiration but just struggle to let it flow...super glad to see I am not alone.

dutchcomfort said...

Your blocks look wonderful! Making improv quilts is harder than it looks!

Quilting Babcia said...

If what you're doing doesn't bring you joy, make something that does. I love the new start you've made.

FlourishingPalms said...

It helps to have a more coordinated color palette, doesn't it? These blocks look really nice. Improv is certainly more challenging than many people believe... and those who believe it's easy flat-out have a gift for it! :-)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love the scrappy log cabin look.

Robin said...

I agree with FlourishingPalms, improv is quite a challenge for me. I don't have that gift. I can do most things in quilting but I have to have an end in mind. Just beginning and gradually adding on is upsetting somehow. These blocks really look nice. Have fun!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Morning Robin, Yes, I agree too, a more defined colour palette was needed with that improv idea. I just seemed to wander more off piste the more I played with it!
Lots of improv quilts do still really appeal to me... I love that quirky, asymmetrical look most of them seem to have!
I guess that’s why I keep trying! {What’s that saying, something about... doing the same thing over & over, and expecting a different result?}
Never mind, I’m also equally happy following a pattern!

Have a good week, Linda

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how those blocks are coming together, Linda! They're making almost a woven look. Pretty colors, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks awesome!! I've got fabric pulled for the very same quilt. Haven't started sewing. Maybe this week!

Karen S said...

Your scrap selection/collection is wonderful. Love the look of this one already.

Bonnie said...

Kudos for you for even trying improv! I find I am a "concrete" quilter --tell me to do a project about a song -- I've got notes and a staff in it along with blocks showing some of the words. Eh, I may be stuck in concrete but I enjoy trying to be artsy. Thanks for sharing the link to the quarter log cabin block tutorial. I love your color scheme. I've learned the hard way that a color scheme really enhances even scrappy quilts.