Saturday 6 November 2021

it's the weekend!

Yes, it's the weekend.
And I've got a few quilty progress photos to share,
plus two book recommendations and pics from lockdown life in my kitchen.

On the design wall: I've made up three more blocks for my "Bear Paw" quilt today, have a little peep...







and a group photo or two ...




On the bookshelf: Well, I almost resorted to reading a few of MrD's Lee Child books, but then my Book Depository order showed up.  "Apples Never Fall" by Liane Moriarty is her latest novel that looks at marriage, siblings, and how the people we love the most can hurt us the deepest. I enjoyed this one.

The Delaney family love one another dearly- it’s just that sometimes they want to murder each other . . . If your mother was missing, would you tell the police? Even if the most obvious suspect was your father?

This is the dilemma facing the four grown Delaney siblings. Two of the Delaney children think their father is innocent, two are not so sure—but as the two sides square off against each other in perhaps their biggest match ever, all of the Delaneys will start to reexamine their shared family history in a very new light.


And my other recent read was "Hostage" by Clare Mackintosh, a claustrophobic thriller set over twenty hours on one airplane flight, with heart-stopping tension.

You can save hundreds of lives. Or the one that matters most. 
"Hostage" takes us on board the inaugural nonstop flight from London to Sydney. Mina is trying to focus on her job as a flight attendant, not the problems of her five-year-old daughter back home, or the fissures in her marriage. But the plane has barely taken off when Mina receives a chilling note from an anonymous passenger, someone intent on ensuring the plane never reaches its destination. Someone who needs Mina's assistance and who knows exactly how to make her comply.

It's twenty hours to landing. A lot can happen in twenty hours... and it certainly does! I could. Not. Put. It. Down. 

In the kitchen: I've been expanding my culinary repertoire while in Lockdown. Friday evening's experiment was Hot Sour Soup & Dumplings. I'll definitely make this one again! 



And dinner tonight is a repeat of Jamie Oliver's roast chicken, 'cos it was such a success last time. If I find a recipe that works I add it to my favourites.  
It's nothing like nana's, but so very yummy - Spinach & lentils with a little creme fraiche on the bottom of my platter, sliced roasted chicken & bits of crispy bacon next, then topped with spoonfuls of mushrooms mixed in with a squished up roasted garlic bulb ... and the best part, all made in the one roasting pan. 


It was Johnny's 4th birthday yesterday too, lovely to spend time with our small family bubble out in the garden. A Spiderman cake was requested. Underneath all the red icing web, was an orange cake - dairy free -  made by my daughter, and tasted delish...


Enjoy your Sunday, Linda


14 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm loving watching your Bear Paw blocks grow in number, they're super scrappy and made with your beautiful selection of fabrics. It's good that we can at least catch up with family in the garden, we have done the same. I remember your post the first time you cooked the recipe by Jamie - it still looks as delicious!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your blocks are so pretty! Spring like and comforting. I never tire of seeing Bear Paw blocks in any fabric combination.

Dorothy said...

Happy Happy is that bear paw quilt to be. I love it

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love those bear paw blocks! I like how your making the squares in the paw differently. I'm adding bear paw to my list of quilts to be made. The food looks delicious! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some of those books look interesting! I saw on some ones blog or maybe it was Instagram a lot of Bear Paw Block quilts - I'm not sure but there were many and so many colors - yours has turned out well. LockDown is a time to try new recipes for sure.

Julierose said...

Your Bear Paws are so lovely--great scrappy fabrics...Hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

I love love love these blocks. They are so colorful and fun. Just so much energy going on in the bear cave.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your bear paw blocks are really bright and happy. Love them.
Your roast chicken looks delish and how good is a one pan meal?!?!
Thanks for the book reviews. I have that Lianne Moriarty book reserved at the library, but I'd not heard of the other one. I'll keep an eye out for it.

audrey said...

Yes, these bear paw blocks are super sweet. Love the combination of the pinks and that strong blue and green together. So wonderful that you get to spend time with your family! Precious these days.:)

Susan said...

Your scrappy bear paw blocks are looking great! And thanks for the honest review of the Moriarty book. I really couldn't tolerate the nonsense of her Nine Perfect Strangers, and was put off boy it from reading her again. I may have to give her another go.

Rebecca Grace said...

The Spider-Man cake is fabulous! Happy birthday to your little Johnny. I am loving your bear paw block variations. So much more interesting than if every block was the same!

Linda said...

Those Bear Paw blocks are fabulous. Love the Spider-Man cake. Happy birthday Johnny! Chicken dinner with a difference looks very tasty, I can see why you will be adding it to your repertoire.

Karen S said...

The blocks are looking great!
Enjoy your books. Can't beat a good read.

FlourishingPalms said...

Your bear paw blocks are very nice, and looking charming made from all those pastel-y floral prints. Thank you for the book reviews. I already know I like Liane Moriarty books, though this one isn't available from my library (Central Florida, USA). Hopefully it will be. It's good you're trying new recipes. That soup looks delish, as does that birthday cake! My sweet tooth never gives up. :-)