Wednesday 3 November 2021

scrappy spin on a classic block







I've been super keen to try out this pink & orange colour story, using a very pretty bundle of "Posy" FQ's by Annabel Wrigley as my launching point. It's got a real Spring-y floral retro vibe to it, loving these vintage blooms! Sometimes I do jump in with a designer bundle, just to enjoy a new palette I wouldn't think to put together myself.
I'm adding in co-ordinating solids and a random blue check, along with lots of low volume background fabrics too. 

I chose an old favourite of mine, the "bear paw" block, {and I'm using the free PDF measurements from the Fat Quarter Shop, follow link here}. 
There seem to be be a few bear paw quilts in the making just now, check out the recent variations at the sugar bear QAL,  oh, and Rita from redpepperquilts has a super one here. My colour combo was totally inspired by Mary at sewmaryhappy over on IG. 

I'm faffing about just a little with the four centre squares to make it a bit more scrappy, ðŸ¤ž I've worked out the maths okay! And I'm mixing all my low volumes up as I sew too, including those for the sashing strips. 










I think you can see where I am heading with this.
They are big blocks so maybe I'll only need nine or perhaps 12. We'll see.
Loving this scrappy spin on a classic block.

Until next time, Linda



7 comments:

Susan said...

You are onto another winner here Linda! I’ve been wanting to make a bear paw quilt for some time and I can’t wait to jump on the bandwagon. I especially love the four patch one that is photographed last. Thanks for the inspiration

Karen S said...

The bear paw block has to be one of my favourites. Love the way you are using it here with your gorgeous fabrics.

Linda said...

The Bear Paw blocks look great in your chosen colour combinations. Great choices.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Bear Paw is one of my favorites too. I need to get the sashing chosen for my blocks that are still on the design wall. I liked the long points in the QAL photos and will have to try that too. Your colors are working so well together and the blocks are so pretty.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I really love the vintagey flowery vibe of these fabrics! The blocks look so varied - and so pretty.

Ann said...

I've made several Bear Paw quilts but your colors are so cheery. A lovely welcome to spring.

audrey said...

Love this block, but I always have to try and put sashing between! Just can't get things to square up properly with the way I sew. Love your fabric/color choices! This is looking very sweet.:)