Friday 10 December 2021

from scrap basket to scrap quilt

Welcome everyone!



I've been focused on trying to use my stash for most of my sewing this year, trying to stitch up every last scrap of fabric goodness. Here's quilt #17 for this year, a personal best! And my last finish for 2021. 

From scrap basket to scrap quilt, this quilt is a real mix of prints, precious pieces, forgotten fabrics, dated designs, with a few designer ones thrown in for a special treat, you name it, I've used it! 
While it is a scrappy 'jewel box' quilt, I also aimed for at least half of the fabrics to be tones of either pink or grey {or a pink/grey combo print}, to help give an overall cohesive look.

I sent this quilt out for a spot of longarm quilting, and Leeanne from quiltmekiwi didn't disappoint with 'breezy' an open edge to edge pattern. 
I chose to back it with an earlier quilt top, primarily in matching pinks, grey & purple tones, my cfRayquilt that I pieced back in Dec 2020 {wink wink, one good way to deal to a quilt top waiting in the quilting queue!}
The binding choice was an easy one, a final bright pink "pop" of Tula stripe.
Finished quilt measures 58" x 65". 










- and there's a bit of a party happening on the back! 











Linking up with Rebecca for TGIFF here
and with Wendy too for this weekend's 'Peacock Party' here
and also with Kelly for NTT here
- enjoy checking out lots of other makes

Thanks for stopping by.
Until next time, Linda

22 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lovely quilt! Happy stitching!

cityquilter grace said...

love love love this....

Juliana said...

So glad you used that other quilt flimsy as the back. I love its simplicity.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's so pretty, Linda! I love that block and all the neat designs you can make with it. Your back is great, too - a fun surprise! Congratulations on yor finish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a great scrappy quilt - the way you quilted it suits it to a T

Linda said...

What a delightful quilt. So pretty. Great idea to back it with another quilt top. Looks great on your bed. Remu?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A simply pieced top is a perfect backing. I can't imagine that I could keep them both straight for a successful quilting finish.

Robin said...

I've wanted to back a quilt with another quilt top but haven't tried that yet. I love how this quilt turned out.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a great scrap quilt!!! Catchy binding, too!!!

chrisknits said...

A lovely finish!!

Susan said...

This is such a lovely design Linda! The low volume open spaces are offset beautifully with the blues, pinks and little touches of green! The pink gingham binding is perfect too!

pandchintz said...

A wonderful scrappy quilt and I love the party happening on the back too! Well done you on 17 finishes for the year - amazing!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very nicely done!

FlourishingPalms said...

So very pretty! Good for you to get it finished. I'm trying to slow down quilt production, but only managed to make one less quilt this year than last year. Sigh. Sending a quilt top to a longarmer looks so temptingly easy... but I just can't. Now it's a matter of maintaining a 19 year-old personal challenge to quilt them all myself! Enjoy your pretty pink jewel box!

Kaja said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish and on the other 16 of the year! I love the back on this and that great stripe you used for binding.

gayle said...

Sneaky trick backing a quilt with another quilt! Good for you for thinking of it! (I'm making a note to myself...)

Karen S said...

Love the idea of using another quilt top as backing. This is a lovely finish.

Karyn said...

Looks good - as always 🤩

Rebecca Grace said...

What a lovely scrappy quilt finish! I love your candy striped binding, too, and I think I might have a bit of that fabric in my own stash. Thanks for linking up with me for TGIFF!

LA Paylor said...

it's wonderful Linda! I love that binding!

Miaismine said...

Oh how I love your scrappy reversible quilt! All the pictures told a story of their own. Lovely.

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect scrappy Jewel Box and the backing is a real treasure!