Saturday 18 December 2021

favourite finishes

We’re almost at the end of another year, and I’ve been having a little flick through all my makes this year. Lockdown life was a huge change in plans for many of us for 2021, and has certainly {un-expectantly} resulted in a few more "finishes" for me this year than I usually manage to do. 
Between Christmas and New Year, I'm joining in with Cheryl atmeadowmistdesigns.blogspot.com/  highlighting 5 'best posts of 2021' - my personal favourite finishes from during the year.




My 'Norah' quilt was strip pieced in a large traditional log cabin style. I started in April 2020 finished September 2021. It came together very quickly and held my interest as I made those colour decisions with every seam.
I used cotton batting for that soft & snuggly feel and in keeping with the scrappy theme, the back is a hodgepodge of large scraps. 
I machine quilted this with simple straight lines, and then finished off with a black & white stripe for the binding, {a wee nod to the original which had lots of black perle handquilting}. 



The 9-patch has continued to be a favourite of mine too. '9patch remix' quilt is a modern rendition of the good old nine patch.
The piecing was a snap, no fuss no muss! What makes it special to me are the fabric combinations. I used lots of leftover geometric looking fabrics - a mash up of Carolyn Friedlander's fabric and Karen Lewis textiles - and teamed them up with a mix of Liberty and other flowery prints. It's a super geometric : floral combo! 



"Another Story" quilt is a real favourite too - I like how the solid green setting triangles give those yummy florals room to breathe. Love how some greens form stars too! 
It's a quilt I sent out this year for professional longarm quilting. I'm glad I chose this method of finishing because I would have agonised so much over the "how to quilt" decisions and would probably not have got it finish even now!
We chose organic straight lines in the end, nothing too fancy to compete with the florals, {thanks to Leeanne from quiltmekiwi, who has quilted quite a few quilts for me this year, 👍great team work!}
And now it's all finished and it's beautiful!



Another fav this year was my 'Bars and Strings' quilt {aka coin quilt} which I finished October 2021. I used a yummy mix of special Liberty prints, recycled shirts, fabrics from my stash and a couple of very early Laura Ashley fabrics... a simple idea in true utility scrap quilt fashion!
The machine quilting, "Ripples" edge to edge, gives the quilt more movement without being too distracting. It also has a vertical orientation which I really like as it pairs well with the columns of my quilt.

 


My latest 'finish' is my Jewel Box quilt, which has had the most "likes" over on my Instagram feed! I was very surprised that it got so much attention.
Just goes to show there’s still something to be said for taking a traditional block and freshening up the look!



So, these favorites of mine are staying here just now.  However during the year, I have also enjoyed donating several of my other quilts to Hospice here in Auckland. Some of you may remember that my daughter is a nurse there, and she just loves Giving. My. Quilts. Away!

Just added new quilt labels before the quilts left home - idea courtesy of mollisparkles over on ig here
Machine wash cold
Tumble dry low
Love on high


Don't forget to pop on over after Christmas Day and check out what's happening - and maybe link up your best 5 posts too - over at with Cheryl at meadowmistdesigns.blogspot.com/. The link party will open Sunday December 26th for one week ending on Sunday, January 2nd.

This will be my last post before Christmas, so wishing you all a safe & happy holiday
Linda


11 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a treat to read this post Linda with your favourite finishes all beautiful! The last photo of the quilts donated to Hospice is heartwarming.
Marry Christmas to you

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you got a lot done and all so pretty too

FlourishingPalms said...

Isn't it nice to look back and see how productive you were in 2021? I think it's admirable that you (and me too!) continued to make during lock-downs and stay-at-home days. So many makers just stopped making, and that's a response I find very difficult to understand. With so much time on one's hands, and a waiting stash of fabrics, it makes complete sense to sew, sew, sew! I'm glad you did! Thanks for sharing your lovelies.

Julierose said...

They all turned out so pretty!! I love Nora though--very vintage looking i think nice works hugs, Julierose

Karen S said...

It is lovely to see your selections. Of course they are all gorgeous!

audrey said...

Your blog is so inspirational, all the cozy-look quilts! Thanks so much for sharing throughout the year!:)

Suz J said...

Merry Xmas Linda, you have had a very creative and productive year and great to see some quilts being kept and some donated.

Karen's Korner said...

Well done on your lovely finishes for the year.

JanineMarie said...

I absolutely love how you use prints in your quilts. And the sentiment on the labels. How sweet (as well as practical)! Have a lovely new year full of quilting.(And maybe a little more venturing out? We can only hope.)

Cheryl said...

These are all beautiful, congrats on such wonderful finishes for 2021! Thanks for linking up and Happy New Year!

Mel Beach said...

Such a lovely selection of 2021 quilt finishes!