Thursday 30 December 2021

log cabins


Time for a quick blog update just before 2022 arrives! 

I'm ending the year with a bit of scrap magic!
Next to bind is my scrappy log cabin quilt 
- super excited to get another quilt almost to the finish line! 




- quilting close up




🎝 and- a- binding- we- will- go 🎝🎝


- progress collage


- backing pic




- I love fabric details 🔎👀





I loved making this quilt! 
Log cabins are so versatile, don't you think? The layout possibilities are endless, and with the right mix of fabric you can end up with a traditional, vintage or modern feel.   
And yes, it's lots of simple patchwork piecing … cut, stitch, press, trim … again and again... repetitive & easy. And at times over this past year, that sort of sewing was just what I needed. 

Scraps quilts are my favourite and the fabrics in this were all from my stash. There's a healthy sprinkling of Denyse Schmidt fabrics here - I find they are such a great mix of different colours and prints, perfect to add to my scrappy vintage look. I also added in smidgeons of gingham, Outback Wife, Kaffe & AMH, and lots of other random pieces from my scrap baskets. 

I used lots of neutral strips and muddy medium fabrics. To avoid a really murky quilt though, I included light lights and a selection of dark darks too... so yep, it's a bit of everything really!
I do love all of those busy prints all mixed in together creating wonderful patchwork. {wink wink} I'm definitely a quilter who likes to use those florals up!

I used a vintage blue/green solid for all the center blocks, love this shade. In a wildly scrappy quilt like this, a little touch of continuity helps sort out the chaos. And I followed through with my plan to pick up that green accent colour, and used a Tula Pink stripe in two tone greens for the binding.

My log cabin layout was totally inspired by Jolene blue elephant stitches. I finished piecing the top back in  June 2021 and eventually had it machine quilted by my friend Leeanne from quiltmekiwi in October 2021. Often all that a quilt really needs is an open flowing design to add texture and movement without overwhelming the piecing & fabric choices, and "gingersnap" worked really well here. 

Finished quilt measures 68" x 89" - I haven't made a quilt quite this big for a while!



I'll enjoyed slip stitching the binding down over the next few summer evenings, 
looking at all the sweet fabrics 
 … and wondering what 2022 will bring. 

As always, thanks for stopping by 
and thanks too all the +ve encouragement & taking the time to comment over the year.
Happy happy New Year
Linda


13 comments:

Kleine Vingers said...

Such a happy colourfull quilt, I like the fabrics you used. When I see this quilt I want to start cutting some fabrics and make log cabin blocks ;) Which I don't since I want to finish some projects.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy New Year to you and yours - a lovely quilt for sure and made great use of many fabrics

Suz J said...

You must be Queen of the scrappy quilt Linda, another stunner to add to your collection. Happy new year 🎉🎉

Linda said...

What a fabulous quilt. I love log cabins and scraps and you have made beautiful blocks from a super assortment of scraps. Great quilting too. Happy New Year.

Robin said...

This is just so colorful and nice. The simple blocks with their straight lines look wonderful with all the curves in the quilting. What a delightful mix of fabrics. I love striped binding!

Mystic Quilter said...

You just can't beat a Log Cabin quilt, especially when made with a terrific mix of fabrics - a beautiful finish Linda. Happy New Year and here's to many more quilts from you!!

audrey said...

Your blue/green centers make this log cabin quilt super special looking. Lots of scrappy goodness throughout and a wonderfully happy vibe.:)

Unknown said...

Beautiful scrappy goodness, Linda! Enjoy your slow stitch on the quilt binding.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love a scrappy log cabin quilt and yours is beautiful. It's easy to slip in a few muddy or ugly fabrics and they just add to the joyous mix.
Happy New Year!!

Dorothy said...

Beautiful. I love the unexpected color for the centers

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I really love a good scrappy log cabin quilt! Happy New Year!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great scrapbook of your fabric collection!! I love the striped binding, too!!!

Ronnie Finance Ltd said...

Welcome to our Ronnie Finance Ltd,


We are currently funding Startups and existing Buisnesses at a Minimum rate of 3% Annually. Our Portfolio accepts Loan Application from different industries, ranging from Construction, Technology and Agricultural . We also render Mortgage services for home purchase.

Are you a Consultant with leads of Loan Applicants? We have Broker programs and the payment is commission based. Kindly respond to this email, An agent will advise you on the Proceedures.

Ronnie Finance Ltd Officer
apply@ronniefinance.ltd
ronniefinancehome247@gmail.com
Whatsapp +919311856893

Regards,