Friday 22 July 2022

courthouse steps: colour play


I've been super keen to have a go at spicing up this block,
the classic courthouse steps







This traditional pattern lends itself to lots of colour blocking & fabric play! I've had a FQ bundle of 'stay gold' fabrics by Melody Miller /Ruby Star Society, on my shelf for a while now, just not too sure how to best use it. This week I decided to jump right in and have a go with all that bright colour. These courthouse steps blocks are such fun to make, no pressure, just perfect for kick starting my sewing slump back into gear.

A few of my steps graduate in slightly different shades, because when I ran out of a particular colour or fabric I just swopped in another similar piece from my stash. I've seen lots of photos of vintage quilts with this same effect, so if it worked for them, I'm hoping it'll work for me too in piecing a more "modern" make.

Today's colour play totally inspired by Lorena over here or here and I'm super excited about all the fabric play happening over here on Leah's feed too, equally inspiring. 

Linking up with Kelly for NNT here 
and with Wendy for this weekend's 'peacock party' over here 
Have a lovely weekend! 

3 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely courthouse step blocks!! I really like the sprinkling in of those larger floral logs...so pretty hugs, Julierose

Susan said...

Such glorious colours Linda!

FlourishingPalms said...

Looking good! Such a pretty color combination. I can't recall ever making a courthouse steps block. It looks like a simple design and that you're using those prints to good effect. Keep having fun!