Friday 8 July 2022

the colour blue

Today's post is brought to you... by the colour blue!

After a little break from sewing, I've been busy this week 'emptyingtheufocupboard'  … I sewed down the last couple of fans to my "Long Distance" quilt and added a little bit more surface texture to the top before I layer it up all ready for some big stitch hand quilting. 

I loved adding these little bright blue patches. They float over the background of the whole quilt, and are hand stitched in place, leaving the raw edges exposed for that yummy handmade touch. Perfectly imperfect   







I found that the 'long distance' quilt was a really simple way to tackle improv patchwork! It's a beautiful boro inspired PDF pattern designed by Anna Maria Horner that I purchased back in May 2019 . . . love the way Anna crosses over between patchwork & art in her patterns. My version measures 58” x 60”.

***************

I'm also making progress on my Pas de Deux modern sampler blocks. 
My quilt is looking quite different to how I imagined when I started this BOM! It all began with an initial fabric pull, but as things have progressed each month, I have now narrowed down my palette to lots of different shades of blue, teamed up with assorted pinks darkening slightly to plum/rose and little accents of gold/citrus {see last progress pic}.
 
I ended up reworking a few earlier blocks, like these little 'evening star' blocks. My initial choices looked way too dark compared to the lighter shades I'm favouring now, so I mixed things up a bit by popping in some pinks and adding a few more different shades of blue … and it's looking more interesting     

Here's a few 'on the design floor' pics …





July's blocks are called 'still point'. It's quite a tricky ensemble, with the blocks utilising y-seams to create a flurry of dancing twists and turns. I decided to echo a few of the different shades of blue, while still trying to soften the transitions between the surrounding patchwork groups.



Well, that was a bit of a challenge, I had to unpick my first attempt! It wasn't the actual y-seams that tripped me up, I had muddled up my large & medium triangles, {wink wink} that's why the first is called a trial block, yes?
Still need to trim my blocks up, check that the orientation is matching, etc…but four down  only two more to go…and here's a little peep…



* EDIT: After a real flurry of twist & turns {and a spot of unpicking!} here's my finished blocks down on the design floor. Excellent instructions for this rather challenging ensemble by Rachel at stitched in color. I think I'll look at it for a day or so, just to make sure I've got everything orientated the right way now before I stitch it together …



And all the others so far …


Linking up this week's progress with Kelly with 'needle and thread Thursday' here
and with Wendy over here with todays 'peacock party'

Until next time, Linda


5 comments:

Kaja said...

I love those little blue patches!

Rebecca Grace said...

I am so curious about those hand stitched patches, Linda! I love the look of them! Is this something intentional that you're doing to a new quilt top before quilting, like an appliqué embellishment, or is it your preferred method of repairing worn areas in an older quilt?

Karen S said...

I enjoy playing with blue anytime. Gorgeous to see how you have used them.
And your new blocks are lovely, too. Glad you sorted out those seams.

FlourishingPalms said...

Your blue boro project is charming! I like the unexpected mix-up of prints, and your stitching is lovely. Not just straight stitching, but X'es look good too. It seems like a smaller piece. Is that right? As for your Pas de Deux, it's looking good too! It's interesting to see how you, and some others, have reworked colors as you've gone along. Guess it's been a good color lesson too. I like your twisty-turny blocks. Seeing all the blocks together, you're on the right track. Won't it be fun to join them?

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

It's fun to see your Pas de Deux come together! I'm having a hard time picking out which section is my favorite. The palette is brilliant, though!