Tuesday 26 July 2022

colour splash

 



Recently I sewed a few blocks in the courthouse steps style. They reminded me of this quilt by Lorena which had been on my mind for months {her quilt though, is all-solids and has the addition of quirky quarter square triangle centres}. I thought I could sew something sort of similar, but with more of a colour splash! 

I used a bundle of RSS fabrics, 'stay gold' by Melody Miller, and combined a little mix of solids to give the pretty prints room to breathe. When I started out making these 14" blocks I didn't pay much attention to fabric placement from block to block. Once I had the majority of them made, I was a little more specific about where each colour family landed to create a balanced quilt. 












I'm not sure why but, I seem to be using a lot of pink lately, not my favourite colour, 
so I focused on adding in more toasty browns and teal in my last few blocks.
What colour do you never use (or avoid) in your quilts?⠀

Until next time, Linda

11 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Those courthouse steps blocks look wondrful Linda! What are RSS fabrics? ;-) I almost never use green, unless I need to make leaves.. or to add some interest. I then prefer lime green!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it turned out great!!

Denice Barker said...

I do love the brights in this!

Rebecca Grace said...

It's looking great, Linda -- pinks and all! :-)

Linda said...

Such a pretty feminine quilt. Love th3 colours.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I don't use a lot of pink either, Linda, but it sure is pretty with the blues and browns in your Courthouse steps blocks. You have a wonderful way with color!

audrey said...

So bold but feminine too as someone said. Love it! So many great fabrics.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

A beautiful creation Linda. I love the bright pinks and the dark blues but all these fabrics work so well together. The colour I tend to avoid in my quilts is brown, having made that statement I do have a few pieces in my stash, husband is a fan of brown!

Karen S said...

I don't mind the pink at all in this quilt. I think it adds a lovely spark to it, and I am not a pink person at all.
Somewhere, deep inside, your quilt brain knew it needed pink.

Ann said...

Courthouse Steps make a pretty quilt. The pink just adds to it all.

FlourishingPalms said...

What a happy color palette! I'm not much of a pink person either, but they sure look great in these quilt blocks. It's always interesting to learn what colors quiltmakers gravitate toward, and away from. As I've gotten older, my preferences and dislikes have become more pronounced. No more brown in my quilts, nor black unless it's in a stripe. My stash has very little red or purple, so making anything rainbow is difficult too. Keep going on this quilt. It's a winner!