Monday 24 April 2023

sparking that joy!


Here’s my design wall today,
{wink wink} I have far too many WiPs!



But sometimes, as I'm sure many of you will agree, it is ok to leave things to brew for a bit. Even if it does mean there’s a bit of trial & error happening around here, it’s all fun!

Take my Kaleidoscope quilt for example. I've used a large selection of AMH florals in these blocks - using the good stuff first - along with a few other bits & pieces that helped to create some contrast. I was super keen to add in the rose solid, as it seemed to go so well with lots of the florals ...



... but after looking at it for a few weeks, it was beginning to feel like the focus had shifted from the florals to the solid.
Over the weekend I decided maybe it was time for a change in direction. Sparking that joy here now and going for the full colour burst! Not surprised, are you?





I’ve also been focusing on using my stash up lately. I always think a great way to create a unique vibrant top is to mix the older fabrics in with a favourite range of quilting fabric ... either coordinating or contrasting ... combos that spark joy!

Guess what happened to a bunch of leftover hand pieced 8-point stars that I had stashed away in one of my project baskets?



I pulled them out over the weekend too and popped them up on the design wall. I had used a mix of oldish but pretty vintage prints, and I had started adding in the neutral background segments, but again, it wasn't ticking the boxes for me. 
So, first up I started cutting out a few Tilda additions from my stash to mix in too...



And then, after a little bit a lot of unpicking, I also trialed a few solids, 
et voila ... 




- I love the play of colour in these blocks now ❤️


Sew interesting - I chuck the solids out of one project and add the solids in to the other 🤣🤣
Anyways, now I have new plans for moving both projects forward ...

Linda


7 comments:

Susan said...

Your quilts always spark joy- either in the making or in the viewing Linda! Both projects are delightful and joyful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your colorful pieces

FlourishingPalms said...

I love the spontaneity in your quiltmaking approach! It's fun to see your new blocks and resurrected blocks co-mingling in style and colors. It's quite apparent what your fabric preferences are! Best of all, you're using stash, and we both know that's a great feeling. I can tell I don't need to remind you to keep having fun!

Robin said...

Love the solid color backgrounds with the stars!

Ann said...

I like your mix of prints and solids. Good for you using up your stash. It's my current project, too.

pandchintz said...

That is funny!! Always satisfying to get projects back on track…..and they are looking good!

Karen S said...

Never, ever, too many WIPs. And if they are on display you are far more likely to play with them. Great to see how you are changing the blocks around.