Sunday 2 April 2023

scattered petals




This weekend I decided I'd relook at a few unfinished projects and try to move them further along. My 'scattered petals' quilt was 1st in the list. 

You may recall in my last post I mentioned Sujata Shah's book, Cultural Fusion Quilts, well I suddenly remembered an improv quilt I made inspired by a quilt in her book. I started this quilt back in September 2015 roughly following the 'windmills' guidelines. 
I made a bundle of practice free-form blocks - no ruler, no templates - enough to join them together into a small quilt!  
I used a scrappy selection of stash fabrics including Amy Butler, assorted solids (some cotton, some silk), along with a little bit of Kaffe and AMH. For my backing I used a lovely early soft green floral chintz. 

I did a bit of simple straight-line machine quilting to secure the whole quilt. I've been combining hand & machine quilting lately, practicality plus some obvious big stitch quilting adds a pleasing 'handmade' look to some quilts ... so I decided to start adding in some hand quilting using no. 8 perle thread ... but then {wink wink} my focus shifted elsewhere!

I've now finally added the binding, luckily, I still had the fabric here - a multi coloured stripe from Amy Butler. And I'll probably add some more hand quilting over the next few evenings, although I do remember reading somewhere this quote from Sujata herself ...  "Not every quilt needs to be heavily stitched. Some patterns need to have their own space to shine." ... just saying!






















The quilt has ended up a modest 58" x 48" maybe a cozy one-person sofa size or a great new favourite blanket on a child's bed ... either way, it'll be perfect for another colourful donation quilt. Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here



12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that will be a nice quilt when done - I know I have made that pattern before - interesting looking book

Linda said...

Lovely quilt! You certainly have the knack of picking colours and fabrics. Someone will be very lucky to receive this. Well done for a great finish.😊

FlourishingPalms said...

Now THAT'S really pretty! I love how you interpreted Sujata's pattern. Has she seen it? No doubt she'd give you some lovely comments about it. I very much appreciate the quote from Sujata about some designs that don't need hand stitching. You followed her suggestions well. Your hand-stitching is definitely appropriate on this quilt. What a great finish! Yay you!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thos quilt is so joyous! I love that big print border that pulls everything together.

Judith said...

Oh! How lovely.

Raewyn said...

The quilt is lovely, Linda. It looks like it was a fun quilt to make.

Mystic Quilter said...

I liked that pattern when her book first came out - I'm so pleased that I am not the only quilter with quilt tops a good few years old still not quilted, perhaps should follow your good example! This is a lovely interpretation of Sujata's pattern, so nice in the florals.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Linda! I love the combination of floral and solids and the free-form blocks. I've been trying some combinations of hand and machine stitching, too - I like the handmade look it gives you. I bet it feels good to finish up an older project!

Astrid said...

Beautiful bright and cheerful quilt Linda! Love the mix of floral and solid.

gladiquilts said...

What a lovely quilt! I, too, really like combining beautiful prints with solids. This design allows the prints to shine 😊. I also love Sujata’s book and have made 2 quilts so far from it. (gladiquilts.com)

pandchintz said...

Great finish and a lovely quilt.

Karen S said...

How great is it to get something out from long ago and get it finished?
It is wonderful to see your finish for this quilt. Lovely!