Friday 24 March 2023

from my bookshelf

The March prompt for AHIQ is to share a favourite source of inspiration, {see the link on my R) hand sidebar} and I thought I'd share here too.

So yes, one of my main inspirations for quilting has always been books. And one of my earliest loved books was "Scrap Quilts" by Judy Martin. My copy is well thumbed and has been a great resource for block patterns and scrappy quilt ideas over the years. 


- I just love this bear's paw variation, yet to make my own version!


Like many, another favourite is Roderick Kiracofe's "Unconventional & Unexpected" book. While I find improv challenging, I never fail to be surprised by these extraordinary quilts made by US quilters during the last half of the 20th century.  The quilts are quirky, improvisational, and sometimes not perfectly made, but such a visual delight!




"The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters" by Sherri Lynn Wood is another book I have spent many hours reading. It explores quilt making in a fun way, breaking free of the old rules, and encouraging unique improvisation. Just need to switch on my improv button & live courageously ...



And another book on my shelf is "Sunday Morning Quilts" by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. This is a book that altered how I see my "style" and gave me permission I guess, to use every last bit of my treasured stash!  My Sunday mornings got a whole lot busier once I started down this road that's for sure! 



Lately though, rather than buying, I have been ordering quilting books from the library, like "Cultural Fusion Quilts" by Sujata Shah. It's "a melting pot of piecing traditions" full of bold & vibrant quilts... I think I've had this book out at least 3 times, I probably should have bought my own copy by now, I think! 


Surfing social media provides even more inspiration!
I love all that sharing ❤️ on quilt blogs & Instagram,
it makes me want to start new projects faster than I can finish them
- but I'll always have a soft spot for books!

And how about you, what inspires you most for quilt making?



5 comments:

Raewyn said...

Interesting to see your inspiration sources, Linda, and some in depth reading there. Hmmm not sure what inspires me the most...definitely my online visits but also random things - a fabric I like, a block I'm asked to make (for work or testing)...that can lead me down a rabbit hole of creativity. A lack of time currently means I'm not able to dive down those rabbit holes to play as much as I would like to!

FlourishingPalms said...

I recognize several of the books you shared. That first one - "Scrap Quilts" by Judy Martin (she lived in Iowa, about three hours from me, for many years) was also an early book in my library. I had mine comb-bound because I used it so much. Alas, I purged quilting books before moving to Florida, and that's one that went. I really like Sherri Lynn Wood's book too, and have referred to it often. Nice that you can check out quilting books from your library. I've done that using the digital format, but quickly learned titles cannot be checked out more than once! I've known Sujata Shah since taking her virtual Kawandi workshop in November 2020, but we finally met in person in February, at QuiltCon. She was signing that book at the C&T booth - a lovely lady.

Kleine Vingers said...

I love books, some of them I look at over and over again.

Claire said...

Patting myself on the back for having read two and used one of the books you list. I had a lot of fun with Sherri Lynn Wood's approach to improv.

Ann said...

I have most of these books, too. Like you, I enjoy looking at U&U even though I rarely make them. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.