Friday 19 April 2024

currently on the design floor ...





I love how lots of traditional blocks still get lots of love ... maybe reimagined in scrappy or reworked in a modern palette, blocks like Log Cabin, Flying Geese, Bear Paw or Jacob's Ladder.

The Old Maid's Puzzle block is a traditional two-colour nine patch quilt block that dates from the late 1800s. It has certainly caught the attention of a few lately, Rachel Rachel from stitchedincolor has made a sweet quilt in Spring colours of pink, green, yellow & brown, and Amanda from prairiequiltco has also made a delightful scrappy version too.

I thought I'd attack the stash (again) and make a trial 9" block last weekend. 
Loving this sweet block ...



so, I kept going ...





- to sash to not to sash?




Pattern: Old Maid’s Puzzle, a free pattern by @prairiequiltco.
Fabrics: I'm using a scrappy selection of old & new favourite fabrics. I've been a little obsessed focused lately - drawn to colours like these peachy pinks, rosy pinks, primrose yellow, aqua, & lavender, lots of dusty/muddy tones.  Loving the contrast of these soft pastels mixed in with splashes of bright colour. 

until next time, Linda


5 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

These fun and easy blocks pack a wallop of color blending! Another design to add to my "someday" list!

Mystic Quilter said...

The fabrics fit the pattern perfectly, I think this would be one I'd like to make.

Karen S said...

These look like a lot of fun. A great way to use all sorts of fabrics.

JanineMarie said...

Such a pretty quilt. It looks like spring to me since that’s my season here. So perhaps you are dreaming of spring?

Janie said...

Yes, traditional blocks are the best place to start aren't they? Your blocks are gorgeous, I like your color choices.
Thanks for the link to Rachel's version, say yes to spring inspired color.