Friday 29 March 2024

end of summer


To say it was a beautiful day would not begin to explain it. 
It was that day when the end of summer intersects perfectly with the start of fall.
~ Ann Patchett





- b&w pic to check my values



- loving the end of summer warm light we are experiencing this long Easter weekend
(Here in New Zealand, daylight saving ends the 7th April).








"Stars upon stars' is my favourite quilt from Jolene's new book "a year of quilts" and over the past couple of weeks I've been sewing stars to make a quilt following her colour combo fairly closely. 
The stars are the feature in this quilt. Mine are in a scrappy mix of dark prints in caramel, rose, coral, orange & browns. The nine patch blocks are mainly in a selection of lights & mediums in peach, pink, light browns & cream, all creating a soft but interesting (= busy) background effect.  

I took one final quick look at things on the 'design floor' before I started sewing everything together ... there's Kaffe mixed up with reproduction fabrics, a little Liberty, leftovers from a vintage sheet, and lots of other old & new bits from my scrap baskets. 
I focused on value rather than colour and ... hm-m-m ... arranged my blocks with haphazard abandon? or artful mindfulness? Either way, I like it. A Lot!  


Finished quilt top measures 81" x 65".
Linda



15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Stars upon stars is so pretty, I'm not a pink person but this quilt looks so nice! Enjoy sleeping under the stars.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love stars

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Pink and stars and 9 patches, that is a beautiful combination. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a pink quilt that I didn't like.

Quilting Babcia said...

So very lovely and a perfect year-round quilt. Will you be hand quilting this beauty? You're right about the warm fall sunlight, it's interesting how the light seems to change with the seasons, same bright blue skies but it appears cold as I look out the window this morning. Fleeting though it is, autumn is my favorite season. We are now slowly easing into spring.

Denice Barker said...

Gorgeous!!!

Janie said...

'Intersects perfectly...' Ah yes,, I know that experience and it's beautiful.
And your Stars Upon Stars quilt is beautiful too.
Perfectly fits end of summer beginning of fall. Nice photos.
Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

I love all your quilts, but this new one must be a favourite. Super colour combinations.

Mystic Quilter said...

I also like it a lot!!! I love the design, good old stars and nine patches go so well together and the large triangles with your darker fabrics has great impact.

Karen S said...

It is a lovely finish. The photo with the shadows is gorgeous!

dutchcomfort said...

I love the stars and all the pinky colours!! Today our Daylight Savings Time has started!

Ann said...

Stars! Lovely. I’m using similar colors in my BB1 and love the mix of pink, coral, red. Your addition of soft light brown makes it even better.

Kaja said...

Beautiful colours! I love the brown in with the pinks and reds. I don't think I would have come up with this combination but I am going to try and remember it.

Bonnie said...

You've done a great job of picking values. This is going to be a lovely quilt when done. Hum, we are happy to be leaving winter here in North America. Although I will say this was a very mild winter for us. We've got 3 days of rain forecasted. Good time to quilt.

Preeti said...

Beautiful! The color palette of coral, peach, pink and rose looks very thoughtful and deliberate, not random at all. It will make a gorgeous quilt.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is just so very beautiful! I love it!